Thread: ACA and taxes very tricky - be careful

ACA and taxes very tricky - be careful

So you probably know there is a penalty if you don't have health insurance coverage. Ok ho hum, blah blah, I have health insurance through work, and it costs me $300 a month in addition to employer subsidy, so it already costs me and then some.

But what I didn't know is that some tax programs (I am using tax cut) ASSUME you DON'T have health insurance. So I was doing my taxes as usual, assuming I owe a lot of money, which is nothing new as I do more often than not and was just going to grudgingly cut the check. But it turns out they were assuming I don't have healthcare. And so bottom line is I probably don't owe money! Woo hoo!

Only how many people are doing their taxes by tax programs now (or even have poorly trained H&R block people, I don't know) who wouldn't see this and would pay oh some addition 1k to the Federal government just because. Because the ACA itself is not that new, but I don't think prior years made this unfavorable assumption of users NOT having health insurance.
    Trees don't grow on money

Our nsurance company sent a form, IRS form XXXXX that we submitted to our accountant.

Your tax program is a piece of shnt if it didnt ask you that question. Do you have the updated version?

turbo tax asked me that question

Not sure if it was work or the health insurance company, that provided my form, but I think we as a society, need to better clarify what date it is required by. Having different dates for when you can file, and then forms you need coming more then a month later, just seems like a screwup in the making, to me.

I've been unable to get copies of the Form XXXX from our insurer, though they claim they've sent them several times now. Making me unable to file my taxes in time.

Yay...

Thread Information