Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recycling DVDs or donating to people who don't recycle?

Also, if they buy your used cd, they don't buy a new cd instead. And if they are non-recyclers, that new cd plus packaging would be going in the landfill. Overall I think it's better to leave the oil you're burning in the ground and add a slight net increase in buried CDs.

I'd guess one cd bought and donated several times and then land filled is better for the environment than 4 or 5 cd's manufactured, watched, and recycled. "Recycled" usually means "downcycled". I don't think your cd becomes a new cd.

Reducing is the most effective method.
    I remember there are some plastics that are more complicated to recycle (to the point that a lot of places didn't, wasn't cost effective).
    A quick search showed they are a plastic that most local places cannot handle, but I found this:
    http://www.popsugar.com/tech/How-Rec...Cases-22018950
    I know even recycle places pitch stuff for various reasons (surplus, market dropped, etc).

Wondering outloud about putting them in a Little library thing on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Reducing is the most effective method.
    Yes!

And also, I know people really really want to recycle. But everyone driving out to the landfill or recycling center is a whole lot of wasted resources. With the low cost of oil today most of the recycling facilities are either not making, or barely making, a profit. And that's with the efficiency of curbside pickup. Each person driving that crap out there magnifies the wasted resources.

That dvd didn't take much resources to create. That's why it's worthless now. Don't add to it's ingested resources by spending half a gallon of gas taking it to a landfill to throw it away. Honestly, if you can't find someone close at had who wants to watch it, you'd be better just burying it in your yard.

I would ask the library about specific titles before giving up on them altogether. My library actually put my used children's DVDs and computer/Nintendo games into circulation so they had more copies of popular titles. What they didn't want, they said would sell well at the book sales and they kept them. It's the idiots who drop off at the door at night full sets of ancient encyclopedias that drive them nuts.

It's not like you are trying to get rid of VHS tapes, DVDs are still used. I love the Little Library idea.

Future generations will mine our landfills for resources or archaeological purposes--probably both. I'd donate the DVDs with the hope that they would bring pleasure to people who would also recycle them. I wouldn't waste a lot of time worrying about things that might never come to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Future generations will mine our landfills for resources or archaeological purposes--probably both.

Do you bring this up because of the Atari 2600 ET cartridges?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Do you bring this up because of the Atari 2600 ET cartridges?
    No. Hahaha! But I'm the spawn of a couple of generations of collectors, so I'm familiar with the thrill of the hunt.

Thread Information