Thread: EU perhaps requiring visas of American and Canadian citizens

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

EU perhaps requiring visas of American and Canadian citizens

This coming Tuesday, April 12th, some governing body of the EU in Brussels will be having talks about whether to require visas of US and Canadian citizens. It seems the EU is unhappy as both countries do not admit Bulgarians or Romanians - both EU citizens - without visas. The EU wants full visa reciprocity for all it's member citizens. Both the US and Canada do not seem willing to amend their policies.....will be interesting to see how this plays out is all I can say. Rob

I'm not sure of the difference between a passport and a visa. Is the visa more for living there?

A passport defines who you are, and what country you're from. A visa is permission to visit a particular place. Just because you have a passport, doesn't give you entry to a country that requires a visa. That is applied for separately.

My DIL's parents had to apply for visas to come here to visit. They are issued by the US. They can't just decide to vacation here from Poland. They were approved but many are denied. Some things in their favor were their ages, inability to speak English, owning a home and not having a ton of $. WE don't want people to overstay their visas and live here.

Good. Let's close down all the US military bases in Europe and return the personnel to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Good. Let's close down all the US military bases in Europe and return the personnel to the US.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    A passport defines who you are, and what country you're from. A visa is permission to visit a particular place. Just because you have a passport, doesn't give you entry to a country that requires a visa. That is applied for separately.
    And with some countries, you don't have to apply ahead of time to get a visa. When I visited my brother, who was stationed in Turkey, I had to pay for a visa in the airport in Istanbul. No one from any country other than the US had to buy a visa. There may be a good reason for making US citizens get a visa to visit Turkey, after they are already in the country, but at the time, it seemed like just a way to get money from us.

Thread Information