Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: our distracted humanity

Mine will say, for example "1% location 48 of 5799." I can scroll through, but the procsss isn't nearly as fast or efficient as it is with books.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Mine will say, for example "1% location 48 of 5799." I can scroll through, but the procsss isn't nearly as fast or efficient as it is with books.
    Upon reflection, I'd think that may be the best way to maintain uniformity between devices since you have the ability to change the font sizes to suit your needs and different devices have different sized screens.

As an experiment, I just increased the font size in my Moon Reader app and the page X of XXX notice at the bottom of my current book increased.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I expect any perceived bugs will eventually be worked out. In the meantime, I have plenty of recreational reading at my fingertips.

Referring to the op...our news had a feature last night about distracted driving and some new laws for some cities. I have heard of at least one study where they say distracting driving has as much risk for and accident as drinking and driving. It seemed sort of a vague study to me, but it is a routine gripe for me. Some one is drifting in and out of their lane or swing out wide for a turn and you get up next to them and they are on their phone. I was biking down a local trail that gets some use from bike commuters, came around a curve and there was a guy texting with one hand on his handlebars! It was almost a head on. I yelled bad things.

Maybe I should have put this in a rant thread, but find it disturbing that people cannot put down their phone long enough to drive from one place to another. Seems like some laws are developing, but it's probably a hard case to prove in court.

distracted driving and some new laws for some cities
    We have had no phones while driving laws for about a year. It may have helped some but many drivers still can't give it up.
    It is hard to enforce but the latest tactic is for one cop to ride the bus where he/she can look down into cars and then radio ahead to another cop to ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    We have had no phones while driving laws for about a year. It may have helped some but many drivers still can't give it up....
    In our news feature the penalty for a first offense is a $90. fine. That is not much of a deterrent and probably water off a duck's back for many.

There was a Mythbusters episode on the dangers of driving with a cell phone vs drunk driving.

(I believe this is a shortened version of the show.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    There was a Mythbusters episode on the dangers of driving with a cell phone vs drunk driving.

(I believe this is a shortened version of the show.)
    That was an entertaining test. There are probably other tests in the works since it's becoming a hot topic, but this one says texting and driving are equivalent to drinking four beers. A DUI conviction probably costs a person 5 or 10 thousand dollars. http://www.bisociety.org/texting-whi...ore-dangerous/

Sharing the road with either a drunk driver or someone transfixed by their phone is beyond annoying. I get out of the way--pull over if necessary--to avoid them. You're not in full control of your faculties when you're inebriated; what's the excuse when you won't put your *%&@#$ phone down?

Thread Information