Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you maintaine a Facebook community page?

Do you maintaine a Facebook community page?

does anyone here maintan a Facebook community page? This s NOT a "personal" page.

I guess I will be doing that for our community Garden, once I understand the ramifications.

comments, suggestions? Words of wisdom?

I started a family group, and I belong to a neighborhood group.

They are both "secret" (as opposed to closed). I made my family one secret because I have some family members who don't trust Facebook, and my neighborhood admin just switched the page from "closed" to "secret" because she said too many non-qualifiers were asking to get in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I belong to a few local FB pages. They are not mine. Some get a lot of traffic. They post rules. It's up to the administrator to monitor them.

I belong to two community pages and am Administrator for two buy/sell/trade forums which are geographically limited.

Comments, suggestions? Words of wisdom?

- Make it a Closed Group. Have an Administrator approve prospective members. Yeah, it's a pain. But if you don't, eventually you will end up with all manner of hucksters and low-information people posting $#!+ on the page. You might consider making it a Secret/Hidden Group, but Fb does not promote them, so if your goal is reaching out to members unknown, know that joining such a group requires explicit invitation from an Admin.
    - Get ready to use your people skills -- or find people who have them. Seriously, if you're a person who considers most other folks a waste of oxygen, Admin is not a job for you. You will be encountering the world in all its forms -- and be reminded continually that the Internet has been fully democratized.
    - You can have more than one Admin. You should. Set it up so that people cannot call you for Admin work (AMHIKT).
    - Facebook's mobile apps do not look like the Fb Web page. This can be confusing as some page elements (like Pinned Posts) are not front-and-center as they are on the Web page.
    - The Admin(s) should set the group's behavioral norms as early as possible. I belonged to one neighborhood page that was supposed to be a way for neighbors to get to know each other and help out when need be. It quickly devolved into a xenophobic fear-mongering mess, to the point that the Admin -- the guy who founded the page -- abandoned it. In seeing it happen, I don't think this was the Admin's fault -- his intentions were good and he was as on top of things as you could expect a normal person to be. But, too often, breathless posting of a police car parked in front of someone's home or news of a stolen bicycle very quickly descended into name-calling and political mudslinging. Yeah, Admins can delete posts/threads and ban members, but by then the wheels are in motion. Better to lay down the rules early and use the "ban hammer" quickly to get rid of troublemakers.
    - Decide early on whether you will allow commercial postings -- community businesses, home-party sales, the guy curbstoning half-a-dozen beater cars, fundraiser popcorn sales, etc. -- or will allow them once or twice a month or whatever. But set those rules. They will come.

Cue the reliable people who say their lives are better off without Facebook.... I will say that while there are a few half-hours I've spent at this which I wish I had back in my life, it has been an interesting experience and I have not chosen to hand off the Admin reins. I'm learning too much! Besides, it's not like I would never meet these people IRL. After all, they're my actual neighbors. I don't conflate the technology with the results. They'd be doing this elsewhere if not here.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Hmm, I thought
    I replied to this earlier. Guess not.

steve,thanks for these points. I have to familiarize myself with closed vs the others in rder tomhave an intellgent conversatin. This is a public relations group so I dnt know if clsed is good. It jas been a very low activity site with 3-4 postings a year. good.

Its not intended for community gardening discussion, we use email for that. It has been used as a lave to park historical photos, do a little bragging and a little promotion.

you can find it on FB as Lafayette Square Community Garden.

il, if this is page is for promotion and not meant to encourage feedback or conversation, it's possible to set up the page so that no one can comment. You can restrict who can post and edit to Admins. If it's enough to have prospective Facebook users just "Like" the page and/or add it to their Feed, without adding their own content, that's a very easy way to go.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    il, if this is page is for promotion and not meant to encourage feedback or conversation, it's possible to set up the page so that no one can comment. You can restrict who can post and edit to Admins. If it's enough to have prospective Facebook users just "Like" the page and/or add it to their Feed, without adding their own content, that's a very easy way to go.
    I will have questionsfor you later, when I have time to figure them out. For now:

Is There a hierarchy of Administrators? I dont see how I can make anyone else an administrator. Someone made me an administrator after she was made one. One of my interests is controlling who is an administrator.

i edited the "about" sectioj and chamges the beoken link to,the real website, which needed to be done. But otherwise, this wont need much maintainence. The community garden group communicates via email not FB And yes, that ngs do get snarky.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Is There a hierarchy of Administrators? I dont see how I can make anyone else an administrator. Someone made me an administrator after she was made one. One of my interests is controlling who is an administrator.
    There is no real hierarchy of Admins other than the person who created the group is, of course, an Admin, and remains one regardless of the role that person has going forward. I was made an Admin of one of my groups by the person who created it. I cannot remove her as Admin (or, ftm, from the group). I have to think, though, that Facebook has some way of dealing with it because Admins do leave Fb or die off or whatever, so there must be some behind-the-scenes way they can handle it.

On the Web client (assuming this can be done with the mobile apps, too) I can add Admins: search on the group Members page for the person you want to designate, and the box containing their name and profile picture will show an asterisk-shaped character; click that and one of the choices will be to make that person an Admin.

I have been made an admin of a few groups that are open and as a result I get a lot of friend requests. Here are my suggestions
    * have one admin who checks FB daily, someone who is regularly on it to catch things quickly and shut them down
    * closed can be good, but if you are trying to promote community events then public is useful, mine are all public.
    * don't approve everyone, I check out their FB page for red flags before I approve anyone. ( no activity, foreign language only, a thousand friends, etc)
    * a set of standards such as posts should relate to the purpose of the page is good and can be pinned to the top of the page

Overall I have had a good experience following these guidelines, I haven't had members who post rude things or too many junk or unrelated items, just for awhile we had innapropriate posts daily and then with shutting them down quickly it was fine

Thanks Zoe.

I do not know how to tell if it is "closed" on a mobile app (IPAD).The Community
    garden pages doesnt say "closed" on the profile page. But
    I have seen thoses statuses, such as "secret" on various profile pages.

So now I wonder is it is just better to become familiar with these admin functions using a Windows application.

Thread Information