Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you maintaine a Facebook community page?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So now I wonder is it is just better to become familiar with these admin functions using a Windows application.
    "Windows application" as in Surface tablet or Lumia phone or Internet Explorer/Edge? Facebook accessible through a Web browser is pretty much the same through most modern browsers.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I was going to start a new thread but I think just tacking on to the original post is more appropriate...

A while back I had the opportunity to join a "Secret" (standard FB privacy classification) group of people in the neighborhood I've lived in for 30 years. I have to say it has really given me a real community boost! Some of the members are people I knew from when my kids were going to school, but whom I've lost track of; some are the kids my kids went to school with, most are people I never heard of. But I'm really grateful for this way to communicate with my neighbors! Because of it, I did a 5k walk/run (I walked) in our neighborhood this past weekend to support our community elementary school's teacher whose son has a rare disease. I've been invited to gatherings to discuss local issues. I've heard about old friends/neighbors who have had major life events like moves or medical events.

I would encourage people on Facebook to join or start neighborhood Facebook groups. So glad I did.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was going to start a new thread but I think just tacking on to the original post is more appropriate...

A while back I had the opportunity to join a "Secret" (standard FB privacy classification) group of people in the neighborhood I've lived in for 30 years. I have to say it has really given me a real community boost! Some of the members are people I knew from when my kids were going to school, but whom I've lost track of; some are the kids my kids went to school with, most are people I never heard of. But I'm really grateful for this way to communicate with my neighbors! Because of it, I did a 5k walk/run (I walked) in our neighborhood this past weekend to support our community elementary school's teacher whose son has a rare disease. I've been invited to gatherings to discuss local issues. I've heard about old friends/neighbors who have had major life events like moves or medical events.

I would encourage people on Facebook to join or start neighborhood Facebook groups. So glad I did.
    I like when online socializing facilitates socializing irl!

My neighborhood uses Nextdoor which is a nationwide system in place for neighbors to communicate. It has more features than FB. Just today I put out a call for needing baby food jars so that DH could make tiny jars of himemade apricot jam, and two people responded with jars. Yay!

I loathe FB for any true business to be conducted because one cannot control the order of posts. The FB software seems to randomly re-post items. That is super annoying.

As for our community garden page, hardly anyone looks at it. No one really cares about it! And that is fine.

My neighborhood uses Nextdoor which is a nationwide system in place for neighbors to communicate. It has more features than FB. Just today I put out a call for needing baby food jars so that DH could make tiny jars of himemade apricot jam, and two people responded with jars. Yay!

I loathe FB for any true business to be conducted because one cannot control the order of posts. The FB software seems to randomly re-post items. That is super annoying.

As for our community garden page, hardly anyone looks at it. No one really cares about it! And that is fine.
    I wound up on our FB page because I was directed via NextDoor by the FB administrator. NextDoor is OK, but it attracted far fewer community members. There has been VERY little NextDoor activity since I've joined--but I had high hopes for it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

NextDoor is OK, but it attracted far fewer community members. There has been VERY little NextDoor activity since I've joined--but I had high hopes for it.
    This is a major issue with all kinds of Web-based communication sources -- people already are on Facebook. They know how it works (at least at a basic level); it's free (of a subscription charge, anyway); Facebook promotes the groups (unless they're hidden/secret); people already have the app on their phone or tablet. No learning curve, no additional ID/password to manage, no separate site to visit to interact with the self-selected group of neighbors already connected. NextDoor (and listservs and the like) all get to compete with the big blue monster -- and human nature.

Our local NextDoor also is quite slow. Most of the traffic seems to be new members signing on and then ... little is ever heard again from them. The neighborhood Facebook groups are far more active.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, certainly you are right that everyone knows how to use FB and it is hard to get people to move. Weve had a neighborhood listserv since about 1999,and some peole still have not moved from that old listserv to Nextdoor.

FB is so limited in functionality, it makes me crazy!
    There are no provisions for classified ads or ways to send private messages or ways to select neighborhoods beyond ours to send messages.

We have 1,023 people signed up on our neighborhood Nextdoor list and there are many messages every day. They tend to be about lost or found pets, crime activity, complaints about garbage or other city services, and a few things cor sale or giveaway.

There are no provisions for classified ads or ways to send private messages or ways to select neighborhoods beyond ours to send messages.
    I'm a little puzzled by this. We have for-sale/wanted/barter ads all the time and they can be set up to look (modestly) different from the regular posts. And we send PMs back and forth all the time; the Facebook weirdness is that if the correspondents are not "Friends", the emails go to an "Other" inbox which many people don't know about. The multiple-neighborhoods thing is a Fb weakness. Mind you, not defending Facebook on all this. Just saying that we're doing things I'm hearing you say you can't.

We have 1,023 people signed up on our neighborhood Nextdoor list and there are many messages every day. They tend to be about lost or found pets, crime activity, complaints about garbage or other city services, and a few things cor sale or giveaway.
    I just checked NextDoor for our neighborhood: 293 signed up. Which explains some of our (lack of) traffic. I don't suspect, though, it will ever catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I'm a little puzzled by this. We have for-sale/wanted/barter ads all the time and they can be set up to look (modestly) different from the regular posts. And we send PMs back and forth all the time; the Facebook weirdness is that if the correspondents are not "Friends", the emails go to an "Other" inbox which many people don't know about. The multiple-neighborhoods thing is a Fb weakness. Mind you, not defending Facebook on all this. Just saying that we're doing things I'm hearing you say you can't.
    Ok, I admit it--i just do not find FB easy to use other than the basic functinality of friending/newsfeed. I purposely do not have many FB friends and dont know about the Other box, you are right.

Just the other day I posted a photo to a closed group, or at least I thought it was a closed group, but one of my FB "friends" not in that group pushed their "like" button. Why would she even see that? I dont understand the logic of FB.

Nextdoor seems straighforward to me although at the moment DH and I are puzzling out why his newly created email account seems to be tied to his/our old email account. I like clean boundaries, dont like it when worlds collide.

I do think Facebook's user-interface people try to make people take a circuitous path to what they want -- but that's little different IMHO than IKEA's main aisle forcing you to wander through the entire store to get to the checkout or a supermarket parading you past the produce first even if all you want is coffee or dish soap.

"Closed group" only means people need to be a member of the group to see posts in that group. However, Fb is not clear on whether users can set privacy settings to allow Friends of group members to see their group posts. And comments by Friends and non-Friends also are governed by the privacy settings Fb users set; post visibility also is somewhat at the mercy of those friends' privacy settings. My default is to treat everything I post as pretty well public -- just as I would be careful about what I say during a phone call in public.

I like clean boundaries, dont like it when worlds collide.
    Oh, you are in for a world of disappointment...

Thread Information