Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day trips into the simple life

When I was working (thankfully retired now)... occasionally I would play hooky.... just curl up in bed and watch a good movie. Really had a stressful job and this was restorative. Was great just to get away from reality for a while.

I find water very calming so love to sit at a lake. walk next to it, etc. I used to live a mile from Lake Michigan and went there everyday. Now I live in high desert so have to drive to water. We always camp at a lake and I throw a toy for my big dog and he fetches-we do this for hours. When I worked f.t. I would sometimes call in sick just to stay home and putter.

This weekend I am going to pack a lunch, put it in my bicycle trunk, and take a long tide on the Olentangy Bike Trail. I think I will do this tomorrow.

I love my little bike. It's tiny.

http://www.pacific-cycles.com/CarryMe

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I love my little bike. It's tiny.

http://www.pacific-cycles.com/CarryMe
    That thing is sweet!

I've never even seen a bike like that, very cool

It works really well in an urban setting - I park it in my apartment and it takes up almost no space. It goes on the light rail easily. It weighs very little so I can carry it up stairs and escalators. Which makes me feel like weight lifting guru when I'm not. 😄

It has one speed. It's geared so that it pedals like a regular style bike with one speed. I've taken it on ten mile rides without a problem.

One drawback - because of the 8 inch wheels it doesn't do well on gravel. Too easy to flip over when a big stone turns the wheel suddenly. Paved surfaces are best.

Oh - and you have to get used to balancing on it. It feels a lot more like ice skates than wheels, if that makes sense. Really sensitive steering. But after a few days I totally adjusted. It takes a lot effort to balance than a big bike so I think of it as my old age falling prevention exercise by keeping my balance good.

Williamsmith
    That bike looks like something James Bond might pull out of a briefcase. They even have electric assist.

I like to duck out to someplace with lots of greenery. In winter, visiting one of the conservatories in town and smelling damp earth and plants reminds me that things will grow again someday. In the non-winter months, I like to find a remnant of woods or a river bed. Fortunately, we have enough of those which don't require a day trip.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information