Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new bike?

A new bike?

The bike I currently ride does not fit me at all.

At all!

Outside of a couple miles it gets really uncomfortable to my arms, shoulders, nether regions, etc.

As I am moving in a couple days to a place where so many things are in cycling distance (work, bank, grocery, pharmacy, atheist book club, etc.) I am thinking of investing in a new bike.

Suggestions?

I swear by Trek. They make a number of measurements and adjustments to accommodate your personal dimensions. They also make a pretty durable bike.

Across the parking lot from where I work (and obviously 1.5 miles from my work) is a Trek Bike Shop.

A friend of mine who rides daily has a low-to mid-priced 3-speed, so I don't think you have to spend a fortune. Then there's this:
    http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...hoa-ikea-bikes
    They say it's highly customizable...

I have a low end, 20 yo Trek hybrid with a nice ergonomic seat for women. I love it!

My husband has a very high end, 10 month old Trek triathlon bike. He loves it!

If you are just planning to bop around your neighborhood doing errands, a simple hybrid should work well. The fatter tires help cushion the bumps, something ugly and used is less likely to be stolen, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    I have a low end, 20 yo Trek hybrid with a nice ergonomic seat for women. I love it!

My husband has a very high end, 10 month old Trek triathlon bike. He loves it!

If you are just planning to bop around your neighborhood doing errands, a simple hybrid should work well. The fatter tires help cushion the bumps, something ugly and used is less likely to be stolen, also.
    I got my current bike for $50 from a friend. It is ugly and used and a Frankenstein. But it just does not fit, so it is a pain to ride.

Probably don't have your own tools, and don't know how capable you are. My bike was picked up second hand, just at $50 and I did my own tune up. I wanted to make sure I would ride one enough, before spending the money on an expensive one or brand. It is a Walmart special (what I call any of the brands, that are generic and sold places like that). Schwinn used to be a big brand, made here, and now they are a Walmart special as well. But some that fix there own, look for older ones to fix up.
    A bike store might be a good thing for you. Have them give you your size to look at, then look at the different style of bikes, to see what is comfortable for you to use. (street bike, like a 10 speed, comfort hybrid style, mountain bike, etc)
    I converted my mountain bike to a hybrid, with street tires, instead of knobbies. The riding position is more comfortable to me.
    If you could fix it yourself, then you might just put the words out to friends, check CL, etc.

Edit, also check with the local Police dept. about bike registration. They give a sticker locally, if registered. Makes theft less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Probably don't have your own tools, and don't know how capable you are. My bike was picked up second hand, just at $50 and I did my own tune up. I wanted to make sure I would ride one enough, before spending the money on an expensive one or brand. It is a Walmart special (what I call any of the brands, that are generic and sold places like that). Schwinn used to be a big brand, made here, and now they are a Walmart special as well. But some that fix there own, look for older ones to fix up.
    A bike store might be a good thing for you. Have them give you your size to look at, then look at the different style of bikes, to see what is comfortable for you to use. (street bike, like a 10 speed, comfort hybrid style, mountain bike, etc)
    I converted my mountain bike to a hybrid, with street tires, instead of knobbies. The riding position is more comfortable to me.
    If you could fix it yourself, then you might just put the words out to friends, check CL, etc.

Edit, also check with the local Police dept. about bike registration. They give a sticker locally, if registered. Makes theft less likely.
    There is a "bug-a-bike" program here where they put a tracking device on it.

I have a small multi-tool for my bike. I can change a tire or what-have-you. I took a basic repair class. I was not very good at it. But yeah, I think this might be a HAP moment.

You could even see if the bike shop, could adjust your bike for you, properly (or check out a book on how to at the library).
    Ugly, can be changed. (repaint it, make it yours)
    Used, well I thought you were a minimalist? You want more resources to be used by buying new? Sounds more like an ego thing.

Giant, used to be a bike store brand. Now I see them on deal of the day type of sites. Reading here, see Trek still is.
    For me, the reason to go to a bike store, would only be for some specialized bike (example, fat tire winter riding bike), or because I ride enough that I want a lighter frame, for a more enjoyable experience. Not because I feel the need to buy some priced to a star trek bike, enterprise.

I purchased a Montague folding bicycle last year, to carry on my small skiff or in small airplanes, and is has been a game-changer for me. Stows easily, rides well, is comfortable. Now I can run over to any surrounding island, land on the beach, unfold my bicycle, and I'm set.

Thread Information