Thread: Reality TV

Reality TV

Have watched a number of reality TV shows over the years, and this season there is a new one about adoptees searching for their birth parents. The 2 hosts do the search process for those who are inquiring - could be a biological parent or an adoptee. Almost all end happily, but the circumstances sure vary.

Just watched one tonight where the biological mom has to tell her bio daughter that she was the product of a date rape. A show 2 weeks ago also had the bio mom tell bio daughter that she was the product of a kidnapping and assault. So I can understand now why it was typical practice to have "closed adoptions" - sometimes there are things that have happened that no one wants to relive.
    But the good news is that both of these bio moms and daughters were able to tell their story and of course still want each other in their lives today. Time marches on, and also a love for a biological child can be powerful no matter how the pregnancy got started.

I've seen that. In one case, they resorted to DNA matching to find relatives. That brings up a lot of privacy issues, one would think.

But the program does underscore how fraught adoption can be. I thought the happiest outcomes were for the couples who stayed together and were able to provide a complete birth family--with history--for their lost child.

One has to wonder how much money is offered to these people to make them want to share their stories?
    I know of some ugly ones, but it doesn't mean they want them shared. I understand the need for answers, and also understand what it feels like to know, that not knowing was better in some cases.

I've seen a couple of those shows and wondered about the money offers. We don't see the ones who have turned down the opportunity. I would suspect there are some of those if not many.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information