Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 lbs and weird blood sugar question

The test she is getting that doesn't require fasting might be hgbA1c, which is not effected at all by recent diet choices. It's a three month average of blood sugar levels and is the best way to know if one is diabetic or not.

took the words right out of my mouth, it makes the most sense

But why would she worry about being diabetic right now. She thinks she's hypoglycemic. Yes, if she's worried about becoming diabetic, an A1c would make sense.........but I don't think that's what she's after. It was my feeling that she's trying to determine if her symptoms of low blood sugar, actually translate into a low blood sugar number the lab. I don't think an A1c with her symptoms makes sense. I have the feeling that her doc might just be trying to make her feel better by drawing a non-fasting blood sugar, which would be useless.

And if you're getting hypoglycemic.......you're not going to become diabetic in the immediate future.
    And millions of people develop Adult-onset D.M. in this country (unfortunately). It doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be diabetic because your parents are, if you've lived a fairly healthy lifestyle.

An a1c will be low if one is hypoglycemic - let me edit to add that this won't be so helpful if one fluctuates between high and low sugars though ...

Glucose tolerance test is best to diagnose hypoglycemia but since she's going in for a quick nonfasting lab I assumed they would do a1c.

"Healthy diet" is subjective. If you're prone to hyperinsulinemia, all carbohydrates all the time is likely not healthy for you. It's probably not healthy for most of us.

OK I am normal, I am okay with just being nervous and having it checked. My A1c is 5.6% with an average blood sugar of 114. So I know I need low carbs and higher protein and I just need to manage it well. Working long hours, watching my budget super carefully and bringing all my own food at work has put me on the edge. Somehow I ran out of eggs and keep forgetting to get those (therefore eat more carbs), we have a parking situation at our apartment building so I find myself rushing home and not wanting to leave for the store later so I can still get a parking spot. Interesting how those little things made a difference.

I am glad it turned out normal. I don't know how science came up with that test but it sure is a good one, gives lots of important information. Do you have a grocery with free delivery?

Thread Information