Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Profound sticker shock...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The problem with the second job is that--unless you work from home--you're leaving your dog alone far too long.
    I know. And I plan to take classes starting in the autumn. So this is more of a situation where I need to cut expenses rather than a earn more with another job.

Plus, I am just not willing to work another job and literally hate my life. I draw the line at hating my whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Reduced coverage, or raised the deductible? So you need THAT car to go fishing? (did you look closer to the fishing spots when renting)
    Sell the boat and you could just as well transport your inflatable on a trailer behind a moped, or get some used car with higher mileage, for the fish transportation device.
    What is the resale value for cars that smell like fish or wet dogs?
    I can tell you from experience, almost nothing, as you can't get the smells out.

Jane, my late dog, was adopted from someone after a fire. Five of the neighbors wanted to adopt it and I would let it out front, and it would go visit them. There are people who dog sit and a part time job, doesn't have to be a long term solution (just to build a cushion).
    I reduced the coverage a little and raised a deductible a little.

My car does not smell like fish or wet dogs. I could clean it well, then take it to a pro to really, really clean it if I wanted to sell it. And I have considered selling it.

Heck, I have considered stopping fishing for 1 to 3 years.

But then who would I be? "UltraliteSpender?" haha

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    how much can you get for selling your blood in your area? I am not kidding, I know some people who do this........
    Selling plasma is a decent idea. You can sit and read, and it makes a nice little income stream.UL, look into it. It soes have some medical restrictions, but if I remember correctly they are not as stringent as for giving blood.

I forgot about selling blood/plasma. I did that a few times in College, so I think it's a good idea.

Idea #1

Sell the car and join a car sharing service. Or use uber. It's really cheap compared to owning. I assume you fish mostly on days off? So once a week fishing day as a treat and don't own a car. You will save so much money from lack of a car.

Idea #2

Since you're still saving 400 a month, change nothing. Tell yourself that this is the cost of living the life you want to live.

You can't afford to euthanize the dog-that costs $. so the frugal solution is to strangle poor Harlan. Seriously if you still can save 400/month the situation is not that bad.

your case is tough because I assume with you that you have costs of living like food, home furnishings and clothing already cut to the bone. You just don't seem like you have an extravagant bone in your body. As for the car, it's paid for, I don't think that insurance is that bad and what if your job changes and you work somewhere you have to drive to? My hospice office moved 4 times in the 11 yrs I was there. It doesn't seem necessarily wise to get rid of it. I guess I would buckle in and keep saving that $400 a month and maybe live on ramen noodles for a while.

I would agree that maybe a part time job might help, at least for the short term. Selling plasma is one way to do it, I guess, but how much plasma can you sell? Seems weird to me, but you've gotten that advice from people I respect here, so go for it.

Do you have restaurant service skills? My son is server (full time) and he has 0 food bill because he eats free at the restaurant, so that's a twofer: you earn money and reduce food expenses. If you could get a Saturday job doing that, you could probably make a few hundred bucks a month. You seem like friendly guy, as long as you don't get confrontational with the clientele!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

From Plasmadonating.net:

Economic hardship has led to an increase in blood plasma donation services for offered money. While many serious diseases can be treated successfully with plasma biotherapies, the number of families who benefit financially from payments received from a plasma donation centers are also significant.

Some companies (like Biomat USA) pay $ 40 the first donation and $ 60 after. Usually you can donate for around $ 40, and then come back in a couple of days and donate for another $ 40. CSL Plasma, for example, will give you $ 50 for your first two visits and Biolife Plasma will give $ 40 payment for your first two visits. Talecris plasma center pays the most at $60 for the first visit, $50 for the second, and $30-$40 a week after that.

I don't know that I'd want to do this regularly for a long period of time, but even once a month might help, if you're in dire need.

Is $400 the total savings or it not giving yourself credit for actual savings and something like "oh and I also put 10% in the 401k but that doesn't really count as savings ... and the employer also matches a few k but that's not really my savings ..." Probably not an entirely paltry % of income even if it's just $400 though (although no you don't have a super high income needless to say - which of course IS the fastest way to get ahead ).

Sure you could rent a car for fishing, I'd tend to see a car being for more practical things like if you don't see being at that job forever though (job hunting, new job until you move etc..)
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information