Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Profound sticker shock...

Profound sticker shock...

So I ran some numbers -- and while I was a bit loosey-goosey about exact figures in the calculations -- I felt some of the worst sticker shock ever.

My rent is like $860 a month now. Student loan payment is $285 (which is slightly lower than last year, as I mentioned). My utils and renters insurance is going to be about $120 a month. My car insurance is $1000 a year (they tried to raise it on me when I moved by about $350 so I had to say: "I will sell this car and take the bus!" After that they rejiggered some things and got the price down to a reasonable amount though my coverage is not quite as good). My phone bill is $25 a month. I had to pay a "deposit" for the apartment, for my dog (along with $30 a month in pet rent), and all sorts of hidden "service fees" to process the application and the lease. Then there is gasoline costs too, which I need to re-estimate/track (though this ought to be lower with my 1.5 mile commute).

Throw in food, medicine, household expenses, dog food/medicine, some misc. costs for this, that, and the other and yowzah! Sticker shock.

The last couple times I had sticker shock (like when I bought my car for $15,999 and was given a divorce direction to pay my ex $80 a month for 5 years at the same time or when I stared into the frightening abyss of my student loans) I was able to tighten my belt and come up with strategies for my new financial reality -- and largely mitigate them.

So now I am working on doing this...

Suggestions welcome -- don't be a prick or tell me to euthanize my dog though.

Most other suggestions are fine though. haha

Williamsmith
    Shop around further for car insurance. I cut my gasoline costs by shopping at a store that gives fuel perks discounts for grocery spending. Don't eat out....to me that's the easiest and most effective way to save. Find a very reasonable veterinarian. There are big differences in clinics. Just the basic care for the dog, nothing fancy. Pay everyone in cash. It seems easier to rack up bigger bills if you use a debit card. Seeing the money go through the hand is more tactile, it hurts more.

Create a budget that gets you through the month and stick to it. Get a budget booklet. You can even live out of envelopes. It sounds way too low tech but it works.

You could probably renegotiate the student loan payment down again once you establish that you have less money available and more living expenses.

I guess that I know what I ought to do -- perhaps need to do. But it seems unpleasant...

Euthanize the car, learn to figure this stuff out first, before signing a contract/lease. Ask for a raise. Part time job to build a bigger cushion, as you didn't say anything about savings/emergency fund stuff.

how much can you get for selling your blood in your area? I am not kidding, I know some people who do this........

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Euthanize the car, learn to figure this stuff out first, before signing a contract/lease. Ask for a raise. Part time job to build a bigger cushion, as you didn't say anything about savings/emergency fund stuff.
    Crazy as it seems, the apartment was the best deal all things considered. It allows me to bike, walk, or bus to almost all the places I need to go. So because of the apartment location I can cryogenically freeze the car most of the time, if not euthanize it. haha

Raises are a no-go at work. They give a half-percent to everyone yearly, more or less. But no one has gotten an actual raise in over 20 years.

I have an emergency fund where I could live about 8 months in my current lifestyle if I was let go from my job. I could stretch it to ten months by going super frugal.

I draw the line at a part time job. I'd sooner quit fishing.

Maybe it would be helpful for me to rattle off a few ideas I have...

Your paying full coverage I would assume?
    So you say there are other transport methods for almost all the places, what ones are their not?
    Would you be better off, since your driving less, with a paid for used car, that you don't need full coverage on? (say a $5k car)
    Why and where you draw the line, is always a personal thing, but it is why you and Lessisbest, or Redfox and several posters, get upset with one another.
    Maybe rethink that, as you would rather quit fishing, well are their any fishing stores? You don't always have to hate a second job, and they can have other benefits.
    Are you still putting money in savings as well?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Your paying full coverage I would assume?
    So you say there are other transport methods for almost all the places, what ones are their not?
    Would you be better off, since your driving less, with a paid for used car, that you don't need full coverage on? (say a $5k car)
    Why and where you draw the line, is always a personal thing, but it is why you and Lessisbest, or Redfox and several posters, get upset with one another.
    Maybe rethink that, as you would rather quit fishing, well are their any fishing stores? You don't always have to hate a second job, and they can have other benefits.
    Are you still putting money in savings as well?
    My car is paid for. I paid the 5 year loan off in 18 months.

I did reduce my coverage to get my price down from $1400 to $1000.

I can still put some money in savings. I was saving like $800 a month, give or take. Now I can probably still save about $400.

This situation brings to the forefront of my mind the struggle I have with driving vs. fishing.

I absolutely dislike driving for so, so many reasons. But driving is the only way I can get to fishing holes. And I love fishing.

The problem with the second job is that--unless you work from home--you're leaving your dog alone far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    My car is paid for. I paid the 5 year loan off in 18 months.

I did reduce my coverage to get my price down from $1400 to $1000.

I absolutely dislike driving for so, so many reasons. But driving is the only way I can get to fishing holes. And I love fishing.
    Reduced coverage, or raised the deductible? So you need THAT car to go fishing? (did you look closer to the fishing spots when renting)
    Sell the boat and you could just as well transport your inflatable on a trailer behind a moped, or get some used car with higher mileage, for the fish transportation device.
    What is the resale value for cars that smell like fish or wet dogs?
    I can tell you from experience, almost nothing, as you can't get the smells out.

Jane, my late dog, was adopted from someone after a fire. Five of the neighbors wanted to adopt it and I would let it out front, and it would go visit them. There are people who dog sit and a part time job, doesn't have to be a long term solution (just to build a cushion).

Thread Information