Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Profound sticker shock...

Save on dog food - feed Harlan fish. Not the boney ones though.

do you know people who like fish? You've mentioned before that you often don't catch your limit. My dad used to trade a hunting guy fish for ducks. Maybe you could trade someone fish for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Seriously if you still can save 400/month the situation is not that bad.
    I know... FWP.
    的 came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Is $400 the total savings or it not giving yourself credit for actual savings and something like "oh and I also put 10% in the 401k but that doesn't really count as savings ... and the employer also matches a few k but that's not really my savings ..." Probably not an entirely paltry % of income even if it's just $400 though (although no you don't have a super high income needless to say - which of course IS the fastest way to get ahead ).

Sure you could rent a car for fishing, I'd tend to see a car being for more practical things like if you don't see being at that job forever though (job hunting, new job until you move etc..)
    $400 is what I project I will be able to save and put in my savings account each month. I have a retirement account, like a 401k, at work but my money is automatically deducted for that.

My savings account is to save for emergencies and eventually for a small campervan (with toilet and shower) which I hope to live in (like Bob Wells!) so that I can "retire" some day. I was saving for a tiny house but there are just too many zoning problems and moving it is apparently nightmarish.
    的 came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

1 - spend less
    2 - earn more

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    1 - spend less
    Will do!

UA, you are more of a conservative than you think. You are all for cutting the budget but no way will you raise taxes.

Or accept the situation (as far as we know your putting some massive chunk into a retirement plan and not counting it). Or some might say invest more aggressively but that's only for those who are counting on investments and fully accept that risk (although some can bear the risk more than they can being obsessive about another penny).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    UA, you are more of a conservative than you think. You are all for cutting the budget but no way will you raise taxes.
    This ain't the first time I have been told this. haha

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Or accept the situation (as far as we know your putting some massive chunk into a retirement plan and not counting it). Or some might say invest more aggressively but that's only for those who are counting on investments and fully accept that risk (although some can bear it more than they can being obsessive about another penny).
    I put about 10 percent of my income in a retirement account that my employer has rigged up for me. I make only $45k a year.

Funny. I made just a little more than that, and I thought I was rich. I'm making considerably less than that now, and I still feel well off. Perspective, I guess.

ETA: Of course it might also be that I'm old enough to have escaped exorbitant college fees and health insurance costs. I suspect that makes a big difference.