Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Profound sticker shock...

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona! View Post
    How often do you fish and how far away do you go to do it?
    2 or 3 days a week from late March until mid June. Then about once a week until September, and I bounce back up to twice a week. Then it tapers off to zero times a week from November until March again.

I drive (from my new place) at least 25 mins to 35 mins to fish from shore, but if I get my canoe then the drives are 45 minutes at least, one way.

how long have you been a fisherman? it makes me sad to see you pondering giving up something you love and reducing it to how many plastic bags you use cleaning up. I would sit with it for a month and see if you still feel the same way. I might be in the wrong thread but you kwim, hopefully

I fished some when I was a little kid. But I got serious in spring of 2013.

Is there any free camping near the fishing locations? Can you rent a car to go out there once a week, or better yet, advertise for a ride out that direction for the weekend? Is there any public transportation that would get you nearer it? Then you could go car-free, if it would make sense to pay your student loans off. Because you don't need a car to get to work from what I can tell. Sell the car, pay the loan off? You can buy a car again later after you save money up cash, if you want to.

What about Uber? Here it is half the price of a cab.

Columbus, Ohio does have quite a number of community gardens. Here’s a locator for them.
    https://communitygarden.org/find-a-garden/
    At this point you would probably need to get on a waitlist for someone who isn’t able to finish out the garden year.
    Check out the gardens before you get on a waitlist though.

Community gardens are usually also good places to meet people who like healthy food, active lives, frugality, more natural living, international vegetables, and international recipes. I have known several who also had fishing as one of their top three hobbies.

The city is also looking for groups to create community gardens on the vacant lots that they have.

If you can catch extra fish, clean and freeze it.

Only other thing I can think of is if you can find a farmstand where the people might trade vegetables and fruit for some of your excess fish.
    http://www.localharvest.org

Going carfree might be more workable at a future time. Doing it under the current circumstances would tip your life into too much drudgery and deprivation I think.

Would you want to be in another serious relationship that could lead to becoming roommates or does that still seem too dangerous/chancy after the situation with your previous wife? If it went well, it could cut the rent in half along with adding all sorts of enjoyment to your life.

Create a weekend job taking other people fishing.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    So I ran some numbers -- and while I was a bit loosey-goosey about exact figures in the calculations -- I felt some of the worst sticker shock ever.

My rent is like $860 a month now. Student loan payment is $285 (which is slightly lower than last year, as I mentioned). My utils and renters insurance is going to be about $120 a month. My car insurance is $1000 a year (they tried to raise it on me when I moved by about $350 so I had to say: "I will sell this car and take the bus!" After that they rejiggered some things and got the price down to a reasonable amount though my coverage is not quite as good). My phone bill is $25 a month. I had to pay a "deposit" for the apartment, for my dog (along with $30 a month in pet rent), and all sorts of hidden "service fees" to process the application and the lease. Then there is gasoline costs too, which I need to re-estimate/track (though this ought to be lower with my 1.5 mile commute).

Throw in food, medicine, household expenses, dog food/medicine, some misc. costs for this, that, and the other and yowzah! Sticker shock.

The last couple times I had sticker shock (like when I bought my car for $15,999 and was given a divorce direction to pay my ex $80 a month for 5 years at the same time or when I stared into the frightening abyss of my student loans) I was able to tighten my belt and come up with strategies for my new financial reality -- and largely mitigate them.

So now I am working on doing this...

Suggestions welcome -- don't be a prick or tell me to euthanize my dog though.

Most other suggestions are fine though. haha
    No you don't need to euthanize the dog, but it would help if you stopped going on trips until you deal with the abyss of student loan debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    No you don't need to euthanize the dog, but it would help if you stopped going on trips until you deal with the abyss of student loan debt.
    Since you are a scholar of my previous threads why don't you look up the one where I explain how the PSLF program works?

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Create a weekend job taking other people fishing.
    I thought this, too! I used to pier fish as a kid in Florida and Georgia and I miss it but would not know where to start. I would happily pay for a "fishing coach" to help me set up what I need and go out and get me started.

I think this could be a lucrative part time gig.

Thread Information