Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going on a vacation..

If this is important to you and you can pay it off in 6months? I would support. Otherwise, I would not. I would do what I could afford. I would spend the next 12months saving the money needed for this "dream" vacation and do it next year while enjoying a low cost family vacation this time.

After reading your comments, I now feel guilty of thinking about getting a personal loan from my CU. They've got the lowest rates in our area so I thought I'd give it a try but then I read all your comments...

I mean, it's not like I'm borrowing money because of a medical emergency or some other reason that may be considered "valid". Now I realize that I didn't think about my decision a lot and it's a better idea to cut back on other expenses and spend a bit of our savings rather than going for a loan and paying 6% interest for 36 months.

Thanks for being honest on this guys, it made me realize how hubris it was to think it was even a good idea! LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by messengerhot View Post
    After reading your comments, I now feel guilty of thinking about getting a personal loan from my CU. They've got the lowest rates in our area so I thought I'd give it a try but then I read all your comments...

I mean, it's not like I'm borrowing money because of a medical emergency or some other reason that may be considered "valid". Now I realize that I didn't think about my decision a lot and it's a better idea to cut back on other expenses and spend a bit of our savings rather than going for a loan and paying 6% interest for 36 months.

Thanks for being honest on this guys, it made me realize how hubris it was to think it was even a good idea! LoL.
    This response is just so good for so many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by messengerhot View Post

Hope we got to you in time! Spend some man hours researching vacation options that fit within your budget without borrowing. We took our kids on a week-long camping/fishing trip to the same place once a year while they were growing and they have such fond memories of it. Cooked everything at the campsite, very little expense other than the gas to get there about 3 hours away, and the $18 a night campsite. Although there is some initial expense for tents etc. Obviously you have to have a team that is ok with roughing it a little. But there are also other options that are more expensive, if you look for a deal they are affordable. Such as an actual cabin; we are camping at an award winning state park in July, a little under $30 a night. Paying for the airfair with airline miles, we are renting a car but shopped around for a great deal on that; about $170 for the week.

Thread Information