Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother's Day

Yes, we would also like a different day since one of our important exercise classes will be missed. But this is the only time, other than Easter, that this place does a special buffet. Plus we are going when they first open and it is quiet.

We tried to go to one cafeteria on Thanksgiving and could not believe the line went around the building. Did not want to participate in that crowd.

We had an iris show today at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. The crowds were legion due to Mother's Day. I was there until 11:30 pm last night preparing my show entires. Went back at 7:30 am this morning.

I was rewarded by winning Best in Show in Horticulture and Best in Show in Design.yay! But let me say, to put it into context, that the number of exhibitors in Hort was only about 10 people and 70 entries. One thing was funny: I brought in a stem of an iris hybridized by a club member, and my stem beat his stem of the same cultivar. Haha.

When it comes to design, this is not a competitive show. Its the minor leagues, and I am moving into the major leagues with National Garden Club competitions.image.jpg

Here is the "Queen's Table" whereball the sectiOn winners sit. My BIS entry is in the middle. frankly, it just was not anything special.

image.jpg

Here is my BIS in Design which looks remarkably like my Best in Show
    Design from last year' iris show. Doh. Well, its a good formula for success: clean, simple materials in pleasing color combinations with iris arranged in a rhythmic line.As I said, the competition is rather weak in these iris shows.

image.jpg
    This is my design which won Best Artistic Design in the show, one of the two top awards. I bought these weird copper cylinder thngs from Hobby Lobby and so far
    Ive won two major awards in shows with them. I will use them again in June in a Garden Club show where the real competition takes place.

P.s. I dont know why these post sideways and upside down. i give up. If someone has an EASY fix, let me know.

No clue about the upside down or sideways, iris lily, but your irises and arrangements are worth turning my laptop around for. Thanks for posting them -- they are beautiful!

Lovely! I was happy to turn my Macbook around as well. I especially loved the middle one. I had no idea that you were that far ahead of southern Ontario's weather to have your lilies in bloom now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B. View Post
    No clue about the upside down or sideways, iris lily, but your irises and arrangements are worth turning my laptop around for. Thanks for posting them -- they are beautiful!
    Thnaks! It is interesting, agreed, to see what others do creatively.

Heres a couple more:

This one was fun, it made me laugh. The theme was "Walk Jog or Run, a design that indicates motion" so mine was about running on a round indoor track.

image.jpg

This table design was pretty much a "gimmee," a first place award that I didnt expect, and that was probably not merited. image.jpg I like table designs because they allow me to feed my obsession with dinnerware and
    I dont have to collect entire sets. One or two plates in a pattern is all
    i need. I got these at Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Lovely! I was happy to turn my Macbook around as well. I especially loved the middle one. I had no idea that you were that far ahead of southern Ontario's weather to have your lilies in bloom now.
    No no! Its iris season! Lilies will come later.

just gorgeous! you have a real talent

Well first I got flowers, and then I learned mom was hoping I'd cook for her but it wasn't communicated and other than buying flowers and doing weekly grocery shopping I was busy trying to do homework all day for some class I find badly taught and just plain hard. So then we planned to either go out to eat or get take out. We ended up getting Olive Garden take out. Now I don't actually dislike OG, I just think it's overpriced so I dislike paying for it. But what the hey I'm miss money bags so that was $50 (at least there was a $5 off coupon to bring it down to that!). It's ok, it wasn't a bad day, another day poorer but oh well.
    Trees don't grow on money

I called my mom and let her talk my ear off for a while.

My sis (who is preggo) and BIL went to surprise visit my mom and let her talk their ears off for a while in person.

My dad said my mom was pretty happy with the situation.

Thread Information