Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Publishing vs Instant Gratification

RoseQuartz

Slow Publishing vs Instant Gratification

I recently got an email from one of my favorite knitting pattern designers. She's created a biannual ad-free pattern magazine that features mostly knitting, but also sewing, quilts, food, drinks, etc. The thing that makes it unique is that she's only making it available the old fashioned way- printed on paper and shipped through the mail.

People have flipped out because the designer isn't going to make this magazine available as an E-book, or PDF. People outside the US are mad because the cost is exorbitant with shipping added and they've grown use to downloading and not paying shipping. People are also complaining that she's not selling each design as a stand alone.

I've noticed this petulant behavior quite frequently in the crafting world the last few years and I guess it makes me sad. It's also one of the reasons I only design for myself.

I could have put this under hobbies, but I think it relates more to consumerism and the amazon effect. (If I can't get it in two days I don't want it!)

Can someone be successful without capitulating to these new toddler-like consumer demands and expectations? Can consumers be retrained to acknowledge the value in waiting for some things?

I think you're right, RoseQuartz, that this connects to consumerism more than to hobbies.

I read a really interesting comment in The Simple Dollar fairly recently -- the author (can't remember who) commented that s/he spends more on crafts, games and other personal interests when s/he doesn't take time to actually do them. I think this is somehow related to this. Nobody is really in that urgent a need for a knitting pattern, right? There's not exactly a world shortage. Something about having to wait seems to tie into that feeling of "I will never have time for this."

I guess it depends on what the designer's goals are. Clearly she has a reason for choosing to only publish it in print on paper. Realistically she's going to probably lose a fair amount of business as a result, but that's certainly a choice she has every right to make. If her patterns are especially good or unique then the complainers may end up buying anyway.

Personally I prefer electronic documents, not necessarily because they are faster to receive, but because they take up far less space to store. Some things I want to keep forever in their print format, such as my high school and college yearbooks. But most stuff I'd really rather have electronically. If I were a knitter I'd probably want to print patterns for current projects, but I wouldn't want stacks of past/future project patterns taking up the limited space of the two bookcases I own.

Being a knitter/crocheter and having a marketing degree, the author is missing a HUGE chunk of her market.

A deeper look at those wanting the digital format are also ones who find paper to be environmentally wasteful,
    plus the fuel/carbon output used to deliver that paper format.

They also have a tendency to live more minimally, less crap laying around their apartments.

There are dozens of knitting podcasts and many of them do reviews of new pattern "books." Not receiving
    the book means no review.

And having lived overseas for over a decade, that whole shipping thing is another HUGE factor.

This author is really losing out on a lot of sales, good luck to them, they're going to need it. Making a living as a pattern designer is tough enough as it is.

RoseQuartz
    Mary B., I will have to look that up- that's kind of where I'm at with crafting. It's easy to get swallowed up and acquire more than you can logistically complete.

jp1, I think you're right. She's definitely going to lose out on some sales. Most of her patterns are readily downloadable so it will be interesting to see. I do have most of my knitting patterns stored in the cloud and print when I'm ready to make them, and I think that's good as far as physical clutter goes and keeping it down, but I do see that I'm more likely to overbuy when I don't have to account for the physical item taking up space. Hoarding e-documents sounds kind of funny, but it does represent a waste of resources in the case of patterns since you can only make so many things.

I'm really torn on e-format for books, magazines, etc. I'm glad they're available, but I prefer having the physical item. I don't enjoy reading off electronic screens. I also feel kind of had when I buy something like an e-book. It's so easily forgettable and there's just something shifty about it to me. Like it's not real or something. It's hard to explain.

A deeper look at those wanting the digital format are also ones who find paper to be environmentally wasteful, plus the fuel/carbon output used to deliver that paper format.
    I don't think this has ever really been determined versus the cost to make and power an e-reader etc. (assuming you don't own an e-reader or a smart phone etc. and I don't.). I'm not sure it's a clear win since making electronic devices is pretty horrible for the environment, and paper will in the right conditions biodegrade etc.. So is paper more or less environmentally wasteful than all that?

I also like reading off real paper.
    Trees don't grow on money

RoseQuartz
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    Being a knitter/crocheter and having a marketing degree, the author is missing a HUGE chunk of her market.

A deeper look at those wanting the digital format are also ones who find paper to be environmentally wasteful,
    plus the fuel/carbon output used to deliver that paper format.

They also have a tendency to live more minimally, less crap laying around their apartments.

There are dozens of knitting podcasts and many of them do reviews of new pattern "books." Not receiving
    the book means no review.

And having lived overseas for over a decade, that whole shipping thing is another HUGE factor.

This author is really losing out on a lot of sales, good luck to them, they're going to need it. Making a living as a pattern designer is tough enough as it is.
    I agree that she's definitely going to miss out on sales with this endeavor and possibly peeve her base to the point of damaging her brand; on the flip side, she appeals greatly to those that want to pare down and not only buy less, but create with intention. I think that's the whole concept of this new magazine, slowing down and being intentional about what you're buying and making. The nature of instant downloads lends to impulsive purchasing. It sounds like a crazy (bad) business move though dollar-wise considering the current pattern market, you're absolutely right about that.

In my circles people seem to want downloads because they're faster and cheaper. The shipping is definitely a factor too with the global crafting village we have now.

Minimalist environmentally conscious crafters still seem to be a minority group. I worked in a yarn shop and wrote/sold patterns on Ravelry and I heard so many women say their "stash" was for their retirement because they would be on a fixed income by then and wouldn't have the opportunities to buy yarn. And I always laughed inside because they were lying to themselves. They were buying yarn because they love shopping and new stuff. If you're worried about retirement you save money not yarn balls and patterns.

The snowballing trend of wanting more faster makes me really sad in all areas because the end result is shoddier work. Especially patterns- I've been grouchily responded to by many designers for writing them to let them know there was a mistake in a pattern, more of an FYI not a cry for help. I can figure things out on my own, but I always let the designer know because who wants to sell something that's incorrect? And many refuse to ever address or even correct it. I think that's lame, but it's a fast food world.
    Last edited by RoseQuartz; 5-11-16 at 2:12pm. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't think this has ever really been determined versus the cost to make and power an e-reader etc. (assuming you don't own an e-reader or a smart phone etc. and I don't.). I'm not sure it's a clear win since making electronic devices is pretty horrible for the environment, and paper will in the right conditions biodegrade etc.. So is paper more or less environmentally wasteful than all that?

I also like reading off real paper.
    Marketing is also about working with customer's perceptions. They perceive the paper is wasteful, so they demand ebooks.

Edited to add: Many of my comments are regarding the Millennial Demographic.

If customers respond, maybe she'll adapt and use both flat and electronic mail giving folks an option. I would prefer paper format but I am old fashioned and like getting newsletters, magazines and letters in the mail. Not everyone has access to a PC or laptop and printer.

I had this experience when I joined the local Universalist Unitarian Church. I asked that the monthly newsletter be sent via flat mail. I think I've received two and no others. I remember there was a surprise when I asked for this format. It looks terrible. Whoever put it together, prints out an almost unreadable copy and mailed it. The ink and photos are in color, it's printed out straight from a pdf and is in black and white which causes the unreadability part. I thought the original would be paper to pdf to electronic send. I guess I was wrong, it's straight to pdf without consideration of readability on paper. Times have changed and I am living in a past that's only about 20 years old.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

I also prefer to read from paper. It is easier on the eyes and can do it anywhere instead of sitting at a desk. I guess if I had a kindle I could do it anywhere but I have no interest in getting one.

Thread Information