Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How did you resign from your job?

I let my boss know in person (actually, via phone call as I was in a different office and state) and gave several weeks notice, as my job was somewhat specialized and they needed time to decide what to do with my headcount. I didn't need to do this much notice, but I'd been there a long time and had a good relationship with my boss and other business partners. As it was the partial truth, I let them know my resignation was for family reasons and didn't go into a ton of detail. I followed this up with a more formal written communication.

BTW, my company also had retiree health insurance, but it was massively high in premium for under-65 employees, so I had to look elsewhere for my benefits. If your retiree benefits were reasonable, it is surprising that no one looked into them.

TxZen
    I wrote out my letter, scheduled a meeting with my boss, was very direct, gave her the date of my last day and moved on. You don't really need to explain yourself. They are going to be ticked either way. Enjoy your new adventures!

I put a letter of resignation on my boss's desk, as I'd arrived at work before she did that morning. I seriously hoped she'd say, "great, let's make today your last day," as it was for a company that probably didn't want employees with one foot out the door on the premises. Unfortunately for me, she asked me to work another two or three weeks so she could keep the month's work schedule intact! Ugh. But I did it, so I was professional about it and left in good standing and didn't leave anyone in the lurch.

It is sometimes REALLY hard to treat others with more respect and professionalism than one has received in return, but I'm glad I behaved as I did.

I've never had a career, only jobs.

First post college job I got fired.

Second one I had significant personal issues with the boss and gave two weeks verbally willing to walk on the spot. He took the two weeks and then called me to come get my paycheck - refused to spend a stamp on me.

Third job we had trouble collecting our pay checks. I was out on unpaid "maternity leave" and when my last check finally came two months late I cashed it, walked in, and told them I was never coming back.

4th job I liked, so knowing everything would be much smoother if I trained my replacement for them, I gave three months notice still verbally, and agreed to be contacted any time if I hadn't left town. (Which I did about three months after my last day). They threw me a really nice party. My feelings were a little hurt that my replacement was paid much better than I was, but it might have been hard to find someone, and I had never thought to ask for a raise.

this job I love. Unless something changes, If I ever decide to leave it (I will if I live long enough) I'll give them plenty of warning and help out any way they ask on the transition.

Update: everything went very well with my boss and the library director. One of my colleagues cried a little, which touched me.

I feel good about it all around - no guilt, no regrets - though I'm slightly uneasy about my last day.

I've worked several of shifts as a sub at the public library (also a 10 minute walk) and found it a lot of fun. It pays a bit less, but I'm okay with that.

As of Friday, I'm a free agent!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Update: everything went very well with my boss and the library director. One of my colleagues cried a little, which touched me.

I feel good about it all around - no guilt, no regrets - though I'm slightly uneasy about my last day.

I've worked several of shifts as a sub at the public library (also a 10 minute walk) and found it a lot of fun. It pays a bit less, but I'm okay with that.

So cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post

Wow!!!! Congratulations! Friday morning, do what I did when I quit my job and just jump up and down for joy when you get out of bed! Feels great!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I will! Jump up and down

Thread Information