Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up the past/fantasy selves

RoseQuartz

Giving up the past/fantasy selves

Last edited by RoseQuartz; 6-16-16 at 4:03pm.

This is complicated emotionally and simple logistically.

What strategies have you approached this room with before?

Like:

"This is how I am going to declutter this room...."

I think if you just dump it all, you will feel better. Sometimes we think we need to "face the pain of the past" but sometimes it is better to get rid of it all without reliving it. You certainly aren't a fraud for having a hard time letting go. Your logic has told you what to do . You might start eith the unfinished projects- just bag them up, without looking too closely and send them to Good will or the TRASH. Saying a letting go chant as you dump it might also help.

I'm sure you'll get really good advice from several people here, but I just wanted to say that I understand and relate to what you say about stubborn impasses when it comes to specific types of things. For me, I also am not a hoarder, but find it really difficult to throw out letters or cards that people have sent to me. Also, our garage is a disaster, because it definitely has become the way-station for old books on their way to the library sale; old trinkets on their way to a garage sale we always say we're going to have and never do; boxes of things my kids left behind that I don't feel I can rightfully dump without their permission; walls of master video tapes from when my DH was editing full time, etc, etc. I have a hard time getting rid of the projects my kids brought home from school. I have old birdhouses they made and masks they made and little pottery things and I just find it hard to throw them out!!!

My only suggestion might be to read Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up--because she acknowledges that some things are easier to get rid of than others, and so she takes you through the easy stuff and the later chapter(s) are on the sentimental stuff. If you've already pared way back in some of the areas she addresses up front, maybe you can go right to the later chapters.

Or maybe get a friend in there to motivate you and spur decision making in that one room. Or book a 1-800-JUNK truck for a specific day.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I agree with NSWEF, just dump it all.

Even better, can you ask/hire someone to just pick it all up and haul it away for you?

Start fresh with an empty room and reclaim it with the best of the new you.

RoseQuartz
    Last edited by RoseQuartz; 6-16-16 at 4:02pm.

RoseQuartz
    Last edited by RoseQuartz; 6-16-16 at 4:02pm.

Do you have any family members or friends who would help you tackle this room or help you tackle the emotional issues associated with the room?

Or are you really on your own with this?

The cryptics definitely make understanding the situation a little tricky.

Thrift stores will send a truck out to pick up stuff they can sell and will take furniture too. also if you have a good friend that would be willing to help I would ask them.

FlyLady, back when she was actually useful (/snark off) said she once cleared out a room that was stuff full of stuff by just taking one thing out a day. A similar thing might help? Just deal with one thing at a time, once a day/week/month. Also, yes, call a thrift pickup to come get the large furniture and get it out of your way.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Thread Information