Thread: Immunity building soup aggravating arthritis?

Immunity building soup aggravating arthritis?

I'm eating a soup from Joel Fuhrman's book- tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, mushroom , bean and kale. Is it possible eating a cup of this every day is causing arthritis to flare up? My right hand is nearly non functional due to arthritic pain and this is new. But, it could be my age-67. I LOVE the soup and hope it is not the problem, but thought someone here might have experienced a similar effect. Thanks.

I cannot imagine that this soup is causing your arthritis to flare up! In fact, I looked at a bunch of "foods that cause inflammation" and none of those ingredients are on the lists.

Are you eating any pro-inflammatory foods in addition to the soup?

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with...flammation.php
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    I think the inflammation is individual. If I ate this soup my body would not respond well. My stomach is sensitive to acidic foods so I have to limit tomatoes, and I also find that legumes and nuts are a bit of a problem. Some studies have shown that onions and garlic can also aggravate. But the kale is great!

I would recommend a home-cooked bone broth. Very healing and delicious.

If you're sensitive to nightshades (e.g. tomatoes), it absolutely could. FODMAPS, like onions, cause digestive problems in some people.
    Me, I favor bone broth with a good measure of collagen to support my creaky joints.

Not a bit of stomach problems, just the arthritis. We're having lots of salads, too and I use mayonnaise for it...perhaps I'll cut back on that. I made some bone broth earlier this year. I haven't used it for awhile. Thanks for the suggestions.

I would not eat the soup for a week and see if the problem gets better.

Yes I've had similar, with tomato soup. I don't know that I have arthritis, but soemtimes joints are achy (plus some carpel tunnel). I thought I was being the healthiest person in the world with tomato soup every night (just tomatoes, olive oil and onions) plus rice crackers with cheese or some feta. But I felt like @#$# and ached all over. Now dairy might not be ideal but I eat it without joint problems. It think it was the tomatoes (or maybe some secret evil caused by tomatoes and the onions). I quit eating that. Joints got better.
    Trees don't grow on money

As Jane said, I would suspect the tomatoes (and other nightshade family members). Maybe you could leave the tomatoes out and see if it helps?

I thought of leaving out the tomatoes and the loss of flavor, but they seem to be the favored culprit. First I thought maybe the soup was getting rid of toxins, but it's been awhile and not improving. I'm going to finish this batch tomorrow then go off it for a week or so to see what happens, then make it without tomatoes if being off it helped. Frustrating because it is delicious and the thought of eating it when I first read the ingredients made me balk.

Thread Information