Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Float?

Does Anyone Float?

I'm going for my first session tomorrow. I've been reading a lot about it and decided to treat myself. I have an hour session booked. It used to be called sensory deprivation tank, but I guess that's not very inviting, so not it's just floating. Looking forward to relaxing both my physical body and my mind.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I'd like to here how this goes!

It goes like this!

I thought I would enjoy it and hated it...I felt claustrophobic and disoriented. I left after 40 minutes. I have a friend who goes at least once a month and adores it. She finds it centering, calming and restorative.

I too am claustrophobic and for that reason have never tried it. It looks peaceful but I'm pretty sure the panic attack I would have would knock aside any peaceful feelings..

I think things are a bit different now from 1980, Ultraliteangler! 😉
    Some folks do keep the top propped open to alieve claustrophobia. I think once I get past the first 5 or 10 minutes, I'll enjoy it.

Altered States is one of my favorite movies ever! The book is even better.

I'd like to try floating! Let us know how it goes!

I remember John Lilly writing about it. I'm not sure claustrophobia would be a problem for me, but meditation makes me nuts (What fun! Something else I can't do right!), so I'm dubious. Unless I had some transcendent experience... I think I might prefer ayahuasca; I know I loved psilocybin. Report back.

Meditation is not really something one is "good at" but more so something a person is either willing or unwilling to do.

I meditate 20 minutes every day -- this was my 2016 resolution. I have done it so far (and with some extra time in the bank too from when I have done more than 20 mins a day).

I have found that this steady meditation has helped me to control my impulses more effectively. It has also increased my ability to reflect on my own behavior. But most interestingly I have found that I feel compassion more deeply, more intensely.

It is like "brain lab." Meditation changes your brain.

I wonder if floating changes the brain. Any fMRI work done on this?

I was willing to try--several times. I've satisfied my curiosity.
    My impulses are under control, I'm as reflective as a mirror, and my bleeding-heart liberal card is stamped.
    Good for those of you who enjoy meditation; I'm sure it's therapeutic.

Looking forward to hearing about your floating experience, beckyliz.

Thread Information