Thread: Earthboxes

Earthboxes

One of my friends was just gifted with an Earthbox. What are your suggestions for producing the most from one? She'd like to maximize the variety she can get from it. And she can do separate plantings for spring, summer, and fall.

I had no idea what an earth box looked like so did some googling and found this site;http://earthbox.com/earthbox-pdf/EB-...IONS_NEW-2.pdf

What size did your friend get? Have you used one before?

It's 29" long and 14" wide.

I have watered them before for people on vacation. One friend just grew tomatoes. Another just grew salad mix. This friend want's to go for a variety of things.

The Square Foot Gardening book has nice instructions for planting in foot by foot squares. Your friend has something slightly larger than two 1 by 1 squares, but it might give her a good idea of layout for trying to grow a variety of things.

Radishes are always fast and easy. I also like to grow things I don't need so much of at a time, like parsley or cilantro. When I buy those in the store, I always end up with too much. Spinach never seemed to yield enough to make it worth planting in a smaller garden space. I always have lots of luck with kale.

Paul's suggestion of the Square Foot Garden approach is good. I like to plant my favourites that are a real treat anytime - fresh mesclun, tomatoes, green pole/bush beans, radishes, leeks, green onions, peppers.

I plant herbs like thyme, oregano, tarragon, parsley, sage and rosemary in pots that I protect over the winter if necessary.
    What are your friend's favourite veggies?

I also plant some flowers for the table like marigold, aster, zinnia and calendula which makes all my pollinators happy too.

I use mine for lettuce. The slugs don't get to it. Few things gross me out like slugs in lettuce.

Thread Information