Thread: Credit Scores

Credit Scores

What is a better and more accurate way to get your credit score? Is it when you are making a big purchase, like a car and they give you your credit score or is it better to just visit a site? I usually ask for my credit score when I apply for a new credit card - some can give it and some cannot.

You are entitled by law to a free credit report every year. Here's one site--I THINK this is the "official" free credit report site.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

There are a lot of sites that charge, but are good. I have paid for a report from True Credit. Or you can go directly to each of the 3 credit bureaus. There are tons of ways to get you score--even credit cards off them for free now.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've had various entities give me free access to my fico score in the past. (Usually a perk of a credit card). Currently Mint is providing it to me. I dont especially care but i do wonder every month why it goes up or down a few points.

I am much more interested in making sure my credit reports remain accurate. Since one can get them free each year i pull one from the big 3 credit bureas every four months on a rotating basis through the annualcreditreport.com website.

I know some CC will give you your credit score with your bill, but otherwise don't know without using what I consider a scam site, how to get your info.
    Catherine's link, on the request credit report page says:
    Your free annual credit report does not include credit scores

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I know some CC will give you your credit score with your bill, but otherwise don't know without using what I consider a scam site, how to get your info.
    Catherine's link, on the request credit report page says:
    Your free annual credit report does not include credit scores
    Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. As I mentioned, I'm happy with True Credit, but you do have to pay for it. I get my scores and a full report and analysis.

(I have to say, when I became embroiled with this debt/IRS debacle a couple of years ago, I freaked out that my credit would tank. I saved extra money in case my credit card issuers shut me down, so that I'd have cash for business travel. Well, my credit score has gone UP. My credit line has gone UP. The number of offers I get for special deals has INCREASED. As Dave Ramsey said, a FICO score isn't a sign of financial health, it's a measure of how much money you've given away in interest.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

it's possible to have a good fico score without paying lots of interest. I've maybe paid $50 in interest in the last ten years but have a score around 825. I assume that the score is a combination of paying lots, not defaulting or getting behind on payments, and having large amounts of available credit but not using all of it. I meet all of those except the interest paid.

Sign up for credit karma if you just want scores from the Top rating services.

jp1 is right that I ne should check one's credit report, the actual data, regularly to make sure not inaccuracies exist.

I dont do that, however.

my credit score never teaches 800, but
    I dnt worry anout it.

RoseQuartz
    Last edited by RoseQuartz; 6-16-16 at 4:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by messengerhot View Post
    What is a better and more accurate way to get your credit score? Is it when you are making a big purchase, like a car and they give you your credit score or is it better to just visit a site? I usually ask for my credit score when I apply for a new credit card - some can give it and some cannot.

I think the basic is to pay your bills on time!

Thread Information