Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General emergency preparedness...

General emergency preparedness...

When I lived with my sis and BIL I had only the very basics of emergency preparedness -- a dozen bottles of water, some shelf-stable foods, some cash, etc.

Now that I live alone I cannot spread that risk around (like what I could not cover, perhaps my sis and BIL could, and vice versa).

Yesterday I felt the urge to put together a small BOB and set it near my bicycle at the doorway. So if something wacky happened I could:
    1. Grab-and-go on my way out to my car.
    2. Grab-and-go on my bike if there was a problem with the car/traffic.

But then I thought, is this really necessary?

No. In an emergency it is best if you plan on being a burden to others.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    No. In an emergency it is best if you plan on being a burden to others.
    bae: Now that you phrase it that way, I really could not agree more!

I've got an emergency kit in my car and at home, and keep extra meds and some energy bars at work.
    You don't have to prepare for the end of the world; a decent first aid kit, water & food for a few days, meds if you need them, and some knowledge about how to respond to emergencies would probably do it.

On a bike, I would just have sufficient water, extra cash, and a cell phone at all times. I usually keep some sunscreen and bandaids in my backpack, too.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I've got an emergency kit in my car and at home, and keep extra meds and some energy bars at work.
    You don't have to prepare for the end of the world; a decent first aid kit, water & food for a few days, meds if you need them, and some knowledge about how to respond to emergencies would probably do it.

On a bike, I would just have sufficient water, extra cash, and a cell phone at all times. I usually keep some sunscreen and bandaids in my backpack, too.
    Ever had to use this stuff?

What does BOB stand for?
    When I read small BOB, all my brain came up with was Bob the builder.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    What does BOB stand for?
    When I read small BOB, all my brain came up with was Bob the builder.
    probably Bug Out Bag, meaning a bag that contains life necessesities. A BOB! A s always prepared and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Yesterday I was on a backcountry trail in Chaco Canyon. I usually hike fairly lightweight, as I find I can travel faster/further if I am not carrying a 50 pound pack, and my joints are happier. I prefer to substitute skill and multi-use items for lots of shiny expensive gear.

I was carrying an 9 pound pack, not including the weight of the water, which added another 10 pounds.

Along the trail, I encountered an injured person - using the items I had with me I treated their injuries, stabilized their arm with a sling and splint I fabricated with my shemaugh, rehydrated them and got them into shade, and called for assistance with my sat phone.

Outcomes might have been different if I'd only had a quart of water, a Snickers bar, and a cell phone in my pack...

But then I thought, is this really necessary?
    I actually grapple with that. While I really resist obsessing over the future, I hate to say that I'm the grasshopper in the grasshopper/ant fable, because I don't see myself that way. I believe in prudence. So in today's world, that means whatever you might need in the likelihood of the kind of natural disaster that might be reasonable to expect.

So, in NJ, I'm not building a tornado bunker. We did experience Hurricane Sandy here, and we may have more of those occurrences with climate change, so maybe I'd get a generator (but I haven't). I also learned from the Hurricane Sandy experience that some type of emergency communications radio is really helpful. Maybe some extra bottled water--but I do have my rain barrel which is almost always full. I suppose I could get some water purifying tablets, or I could just boil it (I have a gas stove).

My guiding principle is generally "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." (Apologies to the OP for the biblical injunction). But if a little trip to Home Depot will help in a disaster, and I have the room to store whatever it might be, why not? Otherwise, let it be. If I die of starvation or dehydration, I'm 64 and I've lived a good life.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes. My library was on lock down overnight and I was really glad I had prepared.
    I've used the first aid kit in my car many times. (Outings with kids, mostly.)
    The stuff in my backpack, I use all the time. Having a stash of cash is a big help. And it's surprising how often someone needs a bandaid or sunblock.

Oh, I also carry my AAA card - if you're a member, they'll help you out if you have a bike problem. I haven't had to use that service, but, just in case.

I was in the 1989 SF earthquake, and our water was off for several days. I had just moved and was not prepared. Luckily, water was readily available elsewhere.

Thread Information