Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: General emergency preparedness...

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    WE always had candles and matches for the same usage. Not sure why we didn't have flashlights, which were very available. I guess candles and matches were more frugal!
    I still have candles and matches, along with oil lamps.
    We also had candles, matches and oil lamps. I think in part because of how prevalent smoking was (and those hang on the wall matchbook holders, were matches were given out like pens are now/advertising). Also in part was that generation, grew up without electricity (grandmothers house was the second wired house in her area as a kid, her boyfriends was the first), and batteries didn't last as long as candles or lamps. (cost verses return)

I realize this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one just for this little addition. Just saying that I just got this for my car: https://www.amazon.com/BlizeTec-Emer...d+sleeping+bag

Haven't opened it and may not unless I "need" to, but liked the reviews and used Amazon credit, so it was basically free.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I strongly encourage people who carry mylar "emergency" blankets/bags/tents to open one up on a nice sunny day in your yard and play with it.

They are often quite fragile and need careful handling to turn them into a suitable shelter. And they work best in conjunction with other bits of gear or environmental materials. It's a good thing to figure this out *before* you need to use it on a cold-and-stormy night.

Thanks, bae. Definitely a great reminder that I obviously needed.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Heatsheets are better than mylar emergency blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I strongly encourage people who carry mylar "emergency" blankets/bags/tents to open one up on a nice sunny day in your yard and play with it.

They are often quite fragile and need careful handling to turn them into a suitable shelter. And they work best in conjunction with other bits of gear or environmental materials. It's a good thing to figure this out *before* you need to use it on a cold-and-stormy night.
    I have one in my car. But it is to supplement the wool army blanket, poncho, the fleece jacket and windbreaker, wool socks and hat and gloves and scarf, and the polyfill "car travel blanket" that also live full-time in the car. Layers are good.

I'm reminded in these posts of an ABC 20/20 show called "In an Instant": the premise is your life can be perilously close to ending "in an instant."

When I watched this show, I asked myself if I'd have had the basic necessities in my car if I had been stranded for 8 days. I'm sure the answer is "no"

http://abc.go.com/shows/in-an-instan...60417-whiteout
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I left before hurricane Harvey hit Houston Aug 28. When I returned I decided to make a list and keep it on file. I found over the few days after I started it I added one or two items I did not think of initially. Along with making a list make a second list of things you may need in your home when you return in case transportation and power are down. While I was not flooded the area 1/4 mile of me was devastated so all those businesses I used were closed. Food and water you can never stock too much.

I think having a kit and general skills (starting a fire, making a shelter, etc.) is the best plan.

Thread Information