Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General emergency preparedness...

Yesterday I was at my niece's birthday party. In the course of an hour, I used my Swiss army knife to open a bottle, a bandaid and Neosporin for one of the kids who fell and scraped her knee, and a lighter for birthday candles. So yes I do use this stuff I carry around. I'd be not as useful in Bae's situation, but for everyday ones I am covered.

I tend to carry all kinds of over-the-counter pills in my purse. Everybody knows to ask me for that sort of thing. They are all kept together in a little container unmarked I know what they are just by looking at them. This is not the way it is supposed to be done!

I think these are only secondary stuffs. Better to bring your presence of mind. Save yourself and your family then the rest will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by messengerhot View Post
    I think these are only secondary stuffs. Better to bring your presence of mind. Save yourself and your family then the rest will follow.
    I do agree that having presence of mind to remain calm is a good thing, but is easier done (hopefully. I've never had to actually test this out) if one has thought about the most likely scenarios and how they would react. For instance, SO and I both work outside the home so there's a fair chance that we'll both not be home and also not be together when something happens. We've both agreed to reach out to my sister and SIL in the event that we can't contact each other after something happens (most likely an earthquake since we're in San Francisco). We've also got enough water stored on hand (and always have enough easy to cook food) to carry us for a couple of weeks if we're stuck at home with no running water. We also have a gas stove as well as a propane grill on the deck so hopefully basic cooking will be doable, at least for a few days if necesary. If the situation is bad enough that our apartment is not habitable then we'll need to leave. Our building is new, unlike most of our neighborhood, so if things get so bad that our building is destroyed the entire neighborhood will have been destroyed. In that case communication between us, even if through my sister, will be critical so that we don't waste time trying to go home first (several miles from where we both work). And ever since 9/11 I've always carried several hundred in cash in my daily backpack so that we can afford to buy gas or food or hotels without credit cards until we can get far enough away from the disaster.

When I was working, I had all kinds of first aid stuff in my car for patients. I was able to help people in minor car accidents twice. Now I don't even have a little kit. I have done nothing to prepare us for an emergency. I keep saying I'll set up the basement once the hoard is gone, which feels like it will be never. I think we need to get a generator this winter since both my mom and I use oxygen. On second thought, I've prepared- everyone has a flashlight with a crank so no batteries to worry about. And I have an emergency cash stash. I'm the worst, lol.

I've been involved with the Red Cross putting smoke alarms into people's homes and doing the whole fire safety talk thing - they suggest having a go bag ready just in case. One thing I noticed is most of the folks we were talking to were elderly - also having a go bag in case you/your spouse/your parent has to go the hospital seems like a very good idea.

Interesting... we had a power issue with downed lines a couple of months ago. The police told us we had to evacuate... we never touched the grab-n-go bags!!! Did remember the poor, frightened cat, though! Fortunately it was only for a couple of hours, so we did get lucky, but I'm thinking I need to revisit the grab-n-go bags.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm kind of weirdly obsessed with having extra flashlights and electric lanterns. I use the flashlights...At night!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    I'm kind of weirdly obsessed with having extra flashlights and electric lanterns. I use the flashlights...At night!
    Reminds me of my days living with my great-aunt at her beach cottage. We each had an "electric torch" on our nightstand, which we would use to light our way to the bathroom at night--or in case the power went out, I suppose.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

WE always had candles and matches for the same usage. Not sure why we didn't have flashlights, which were very available. I guess candles and matches were more frugal!
    I still have candles and matches, along with oil lamps.

Thread Information