Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's That Time Of Year Again, Finally!

It's That Time Of Year Again, Finally!

I've dubbed this years' adventure, The Wild West Extravaganza Version.2016. I will be leaving on June 3, right after working the 6am shift (per usual) and make it out to Lake Michigan where I have a reserved campsite at the State Park. I am heading for Taos first (again) via Kansas this time. I am bound and determined to find things of interest in Kansas after blasting through as fast as possible the very boring I-70 corridor for two years in a row coming home. I thought I'd check out the Tall Grass Prairie Reserve and the Flint Hills area, and then angle off heading southwest to the pan handle of Oklahoma and then take some little route into New Mexico that I haven't done before. I'll end up camping outside of Taos and my goal is to set up a table to sell jewelry by the Rio Grande Gorge one morning (just to see if I can do it)!

From there I will wind my way down to Madrid (which is between Santa Fe and Albuquerque) where I have gallery business to do. I am going to hang out there for a week or so and do a trunk show at the gallery. I will be spending some time staying at another artist's off the grid spread at her AirBnb campsite. I'll be doing some day side trips to Santa Fe and Albuquerque while I am there.

Then from Madrid I plan to head to southern New Mexico, which I haven't done in many years to check out White Sands, Silver City, Las Cruces and basically meander where ever to my heart's content. I will then go south to El Paso (which I have never done) and the head east and check out Marfa, TX, which is another artist town. I have never explored this part of Texas before so I am a little nervous, as it is REALLY BIG and VERY EMPTY! From Marfa I will head east to San Antonio where a very old aquaintence from my long ago punk days lives - I have some jewelry I made for her to drop off. I have never been to San Antonio and I heard it was very nice. After that I'll head to Austin and then will have to start heading back east at that point to make it home by June 27th and back to the grind on June 29th.

Oh boy, what a year it has been - I'm sure I say that every year, but this past one was really a doozy to make it through! The broken big toe from last summer, the being off work for so long, the trying to get my stamina back, to just making it through the sheer grind of it, the cruddy, dismal Michigan winter, the S.A.D. I had to overcome - all very first world problems, but it was hard on me. But I survived it, and all the hard work pays off, once again. This is a totally paid vacation (I had just enough PTO time saved up for it). My car is finally in great working order (after $580 worth of repairs), part of this is a working vacation that I can write off, I have enough money to spend while vacationing (I am always frugal when I can be, but I don't deny myself spending money for experiences). I feel very blessed to be able to do this type of trip, once again!

Now, I just have to make it through FIVE more days of work before I can take off

Makes me want to sell it all and travel with you for the rest of our lives!

Tell Las Cruces "hi" for me! Liged there a gew years in the 1980's and
    I look at listings there in Realtor.com. It has very low real estate costs.

Have a wonderful time. I admire your independence and flexibility, plus your work ethic. I hope it is a glorious trip.

Have a great holiday!

I am typing this from a Greek island, sipping a Campari and soda, whilst waiting to go for dinner in a favourite taverna.

Having lived in Kansas twice there really is not much to do there. The Flint hIlls are pretty and I really love KC, missouri. That town has almost as many fountains/statues as Rome, Paris, etc. There are many cool things to do there. There is an old fort to tour, etc. Have fun!!

That's a lot of travelin'. Stumbled into Madrid once and had lunch; it felt like the desert version of the old show Northern Exposure. San Antonio celebrates its history and culture a lot more than most Texas cities but has gotten absolutely huge since I lived there. You probably don't want to think about work when you're in Austin, but the flagship store is quite a tourist destination since it's in the middle of town. There has been a lot of rain this spring so things are mush lusher than usual. Have a great trip!

Have a wonderful and successful adventure!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Have a wonderful time. I admire your independence and flexibility, plus your work ethic. I hope it is a glorious trip.
    +1

take pics for us

wow!!! Is all I can say. I read your post to hubby and he was thrilled to. To hear someone doing exactly as they want and seeing all those places outside of our grand state of Michigan

Thread Information