Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tragedy at the zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Anyone can sue and win for stupid shit all the time. Like the woman that sued Mcdonalds and won over spilling hot coffee on herself
    Actually, she had a good case and she deserved to win. My husband worked on a video for a local legal firm. We originally thought it was a frivolous lawsuit, but we came to understand that it was not. Here's some of the facts:

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Zoos perform an essential role in species preservation and conservation.
    This popped into my head when I first read this.

The stories listed in that story, seem conflicted as to the gorilla's actions. As someone who wasn't there, I can't say if the gorilla was protective, protective but treating the child as a gorilla (we are weaker), or since there were listed some females around, getting ready for some kind of dominance alpha fight. I am going to have to trust the judgement of those who have more closely watched this particular animal, and know its temperament.

their is a great Netflix doc about the McDonald's case, called Hot Coffee. That woman suffered

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    their is a great Netflix doc about the McDonald's case, called Hot Coffee. That woman suffered
    And she originally just asked McDonald's for about $20,000, to cover her medical costs for the 3rd degree burns. McDonald's countered with $800.

TooMuchStuff..........I have been thinking of that Twilight Zone episode too!

Bae......I really don't think most zoos are for the preservation of endangered animals. If we were really serious about that, we would have large preserves for them that very few people were allowed on to.
    It's mankind's treatment of and lack of respect for animals that has led to their decline.........and many zoos are taking part in that exploitation, under the guise of "protection". Mankind has to stop thinking his needs are all that matters.
    I would be all for true protected preserves........but zoos aren't that.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    One of my many hobbies is tracking poachers in Africa.
    How do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Anyone can sue and win for stupid shit all the time. Like the woman that sued Mcdonalds and won over spilling hot coffee on herself
    To be fair to the McDonalds woman, McDonalds required franchises to heat the coffee to excessively hot temperatures (180-190 degrees)*, substantially hotter than is necessary for enjoyment. And at 190 degrees it takes only 2-3 seconds of contact to get a third degree burn. To give someone in a car a drink that hot and then be surprised when she spills it on herself and gets serious burns was deemed to be an act of negligence on McDonald's part.

And in further fairness to the woman, she originally only asked McDonalds for the cost of her medical bills plus a couple thousand dollars of lost wages for her daughter who took care of her during/immediately after her hospital stay, $20,000. McDonalds countered with $800 which prompted the lawsuit.

*From wikipedia: "McDonald's claimed that the reason for serving such hot coffee in its drive-through windows was that those who purchased the coffee typically were commuters who wanted to drive a distance with the coffee; the high initial temperature would keep the coffee hot during the trip.[2] However, the company's own research showed that some customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while driving.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebec...;s_Restaurants

I see that others have also responded. Perhaps I should have read through the whole thread first, but honestly, this case is one of those soundbites that sounds great "McDonalds customer spills coffee on self and sues restaurant for thousands and thousands of dollars. Our legal system is CRAZY!". But it's just not true and makes my blood boil almost as hot as a cup of McDonald's coffee when I see it repeated. The woman suffered serious injuries attempting to use the product as intended.

I do think this was a hard call on the zoo's part. But CathA I agree with you about zoos. It's a enslavement. Animals are just here for our pleasure. I think I'm gonna look into what I can do to make them a thing of the past.

I too am ethically opposed to zoos.

I'm a member of our local zoological society, and our family probably visits about a half dozen times or so each year. I have no particular problem with zoos as an institution. I eat meat, so I have no particular problem with slaughterhouses either. Just my way of thinking.

It's always interesting how people rush to imprint their own perspective and values on extreme situations like this. Mother-shaming, animal rights advocacy, and the belief that any bad situation must have some party at fault who must be held accountable as if random bad luck didn't exist. I've heard people actually say that it was a mistake to value the child's life over the animal's. Me, I'd hunt gorillas to extinction if it meant saving my daughter.

Thread Information