Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Just too much stuff

I've lived in my current apartment for 8 years. That's the longest I've lived somewhere, aside from the house I grew up in.

I sort of did the KonMari thing over the winter. Got rid of a lot. Went through again this weekend and pitched papers and a bunch of small stuff. I now have very few physical books. Most are on my Kindle. If I had to, I could move on very short notice. The only thing I'd really have to deal with would be food items.

I'm even pretty minimal with my shooting hobby. I only have a few. I recently acquired a rifle, but the stuff for that is limited. The only thing I really "hoard" is ammo, which I buy mostly online in bulk as it's so much cheaper. I have dedicated plastic containers for it, and everything is in its place. I don't hesitate to sell guns I don't shoot anymore/don't need to fund other purchases.

We have three weeks now to get out and still no place to live and still too much stuff that I thought would go easily on craigslist. I wish we were light and free like SiouxQ. I had no concept how difficult this would be and how much stuff there was in this 1600 sf house.

Everytime I read something like this, I go and get more stuff out of the house. Cannot say I throw away but I give to whatever reuse I can. A pile of simple living books is on its way to the library. At my age, I should already have acquired all the helpful hints. In my rummaging around found a huge box of audio books. Now I don't have to buy one for the trip next week. When finished listening, they will go back to the library for sale.

Fun stored new stuffed cats are going to some little girls I know. A few things are going to Mom's senior living place where they are always looking for "birthday" gifts. Even an oversupply of gift bags is going to her to distribute to her friends. Finally did throw away an oversupply of plastic tubs that food came in.

Now if I could only find the containers that belong to the box of lids of all sizes. Also found while rummaging a bunch of stuff hubby bought that was still in the bag and I am sure he forgot about.

Geila
    I'm so glad to be doing this big purge now rather than later. Our house is 1500 sq ft and I cannot believe how much stuff we have gotten rid off this past month. Truckloads of stuff and still have more to go. Dh has reluctantly agreed to join in and has also been purging a lot of his things.

I'm getting rid of a lot of 'clutter holding stations/containers' like having baskets around in every room and such. I've taken the bottom shelf off of 4 tables so that clutter won't accumulate there either.

PT: if your stuff is not selling on CL I would reduce the price and move the ad back to the top every few days. When the price is low enough it will go fast.

I took another car load of stuff to our local recycle center store; it is such a wonderful resource! I bet half the stuff I took back there I got from there originally, I love the full circle aspect of it!

I just put an ad on Craigslist for a single tire I need to sell, and also a vintage captain's chair that was my grandmother's. I've been dragging it around since the 1980's. It's time to release it back into the world for someone else to love.

I have stacked all sorts of things along the wall in the basement that are earmarked for particular people. My 1990's hybrid mountain bike, bike rack and panier (which originally was my mom's) is going to an old friend. My sewing box (minus a spool of black and white thread and a few sewing needles) is going to my daughter. A backpacking cooking set which I have not used since 1988 is going to a work friend who is going on a backpacking trip with her husband in August. I am creating a box of cool art stuff for another work friend who totally "gets" me and will appreciate my collection of odd parts and pieces. I am having fun giving stuff away to my friends!

Oh my, I started on my studio today. It didn't look like THAT much when it was all in its place, but when you start filling boxes...

My plan of attack is to put everything I think I want to take up in the empty second bedroom where I have masking taped a 4 x 8 ft box on the floor. The trailer is only four feet high. I think its going to end up that I won't be able to take things I can readily re-buy once I get to New Mexico, like little storage drawers and units. Considering most of the storage thingies I had originally got for free from curbside diving, it's not like I've wasted money on the purchase of them. The tools, guitars, clothing (I am very minimal when it comes to this category), and other personal items are the most important things to move, so if I can't take even a few dishes and such, I can always go thrifting to get what I need when I get there.

Thread Information