Thread: Bike Racks

Bike Racks

Health or Transportation not sure where to post. Last week I went to the Doctor office at the back of the local hospital, no bike rack. Ok I figured surely must be in front. Today I went for blood work and had to use front entrance. NO racks again. I ask the security officer where they were?? He says just chain to the fence or light pole. Maybe he thought there was a rack in front of emergency, but not sure. I joke and said Oh yes I always ride my bike to emergency.

I asked on my way out for the suggestion box, Nope don't have one only boxes to compliment a worker. I came home and went to web site to send a suggestion.

All the talk of health, weight, diet and exercise will never help if the place that is suppose to help you be healthy does nothing to promote a life geared towards it.

Side note Our town is not bike friendly, I can't think of many if any racks. We have a rails to trails and that does not even have a rack in case I want to bike and walk or run.

Op, thats is indeed funny-not funny as you point out, all of the talk about "get healthy" and no bike racks!

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Op, thats is indeed funny-not funny as you point out, all of the talk about "get healthy" and no bike racks!
    Do you have a local scout troop ....fabricating and installing several bike racks in your community as well as interacting with the hospital administration to negotiate a plan seems like an excellent Eagle Scout project.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Do you have a local scout troop ....fabricating and installing several bike racks in your community as well as interacting with the hospital administration to negotiate a plan seems like an excellent Eagle Scout project.
    That sounds like a great scout project!

Bike racks around here are sort of hit and miss. The ones around the health food type stores like sprouts and whole foods get used a lot. I've noticed a few others around regular shopping areas have been removed over the last few years. I see a lot of recreational riders out on the local trails, but unfortunately there are not a whole lot of commuters out of the bunch. There are places I've been where a bike rack would be welcome, but I might be one of the few people to use it. There is probably some vague sort of cost/benefit for some businesses where it just doesn't justify one. Even around health care facilities.

I read a while ago somewhere, that installing bike lanes and walking paths in every city would not change the health or the way americans view this topic.

as I was typing this I got this response:
    Thank you for your e-mail. I have forwarded your message to the appropriate person within ProMedica Health System. Please expect a response within the week.

I would be happy to assist you if you have addition questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
    Crystal RN

Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    Maybe he thought there was a rack in front of emergency, but not sure. I joke and said Oh yes I always ride my bike to emergency.

I asked on my way out for the suggestion box, Nope don't have one only boxes to compliment a worker. I came home and went to web site to send a suggestion.

All the talk of health, weight, diet and exercise will never help if the place that is suppose to help you be healthy does nothing to promote a life geared towards it.

Side note Our town is not bike friendly, I can't think of many if any racks. We have a rails to trails and that does not even have a rack in case I want to bike and walk or run.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    I read a while ago somewhere, that installing bike lanes and walking paths in every city would not change the health or the way americans view this topic.
    I would not assume to read his mind, and I certainly don't think it would be common to have them at the emergency entrance, or particularly wise to put them in the path of a speeding ambulance (or as our old hospital, helicopter landing pad).
    I see a lot of the bicycle arguments, similar to the vehicle arguments, comparing the USA to Europe, for instance. It might have an effect in inner cities, but with sprawl, and country size, verses state size, street design, and population density, you have to ride much further here, then in Europe.

One year later, no bike racks at hospital. Guess not in the plan.

Perhaps we should lobby our government to encourage bike racks by providing either a tax credit or a penalty for lack of one. Or maybe look for a sympathetic news organization to make it into a story. It may already exist in some places, but I thought a useful web site to make would be a list of business that have bike racks. Then cyclist could try to patronize the places that have bike racks. You could even call places, ask to speak to management and tell them you are compiling a list of bicycling friendly business for the site, and ask if they have bikes racks. Perhaps if they thought it would effect there bottom line, or give them a bad image, they would install one.

I know where the bike racks are for our hospital...inside the parking garage. Our garage is across the street from the facility, and one can walk at ground level across traffic, or go to the third floor and go across a bridge to access the facility. Is your hospital large enough to have a parking garage?

Thread Information