Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying out the KonMari Method

Geila

Trying out the KonMari Method

Anyone interested in doing a Marie Kondo style project to tidy, declutter and organize?

I haven't read the book yet, but from what I just read briefly online, it seems to be worth trying out. I'm going to see if I can get it at the library and if not I'll buy it.

I have already installed a closet organizer system and gone thru everything once. Now I need to pare down. Got to say, I love an organized closet. I even bought one of those crazy Tshirt folders and used it to fold every single Tshirt. LOVELY. They take up a quarter of the space and it is so easy to find what I want. Less wrinkled also.

Her book was pretty inspirational.

I have read her book 2x's and have done a ton of clearing out stuff. I don't fold many clothes because I have a big walk in closet with lots of empty space so I prefer to hang up all my tops/bottoms except for pj's, etc. I feel so much better having less stuff and can clean much faster. The one thing I didn't do was hold undies, socks for joy because they are purely functional and I only downsize those as they get holes and I throw out. I do not see a point in reducing the amount and then buying more later. I read that she has become so successful that she no longer has time to go into people's homes for consults.

Do read the book first. It helped me and I had already considered myself pretty well organized, but I was able to get rid of a lot more! I agree with about 90% of it. There are some cultural differences. I think on average, folks in the US (can't speak for CA), have more stuff and more space than most folks in Japan.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Geila
    Well, the library does have 50 copies of the book and they are all checked out and there's about 60 people on the wait list so I popped over to Barnes & Noble and picked up a copy - for 30% off. What a cute little book.

I have to say, the idea of gathering everything of the same type and putting it all on the floor sounds very tiring. Probably means I have way too much of everything. At least she says to start with books, which I've already organized and should be easy to weed through.

What I really need to do is go through my boxes of extra kitchenware and linens though. And picture frames. This weekend we took down a wall shelving unit in the garage to accommodate dh's new car which is longer than his old one. I have about 10 of those clear plastic bins sitting on the garage floor waiting for me to go through and sort/discard/organize. The new storage shelf is about 1/4 of the the old one, which means I need to reduce the stored items there by 3/4. I either need to find room for them in the kitchen and pantry, or donate them.

I've kind of skimmed the book, but one section that stood out to me was where she talks about creating an environment that supports you. That's where I'm at. I want to feel relaxed and happy in all areas of my home. I like the idea of creating a supportive environment. Something that lifts your spirit rather than dragging it down.

Loved the book and did my clothes and books, which I thought would be difficult. I'm 3rd in line at the library for her second book. That will get me inspired to do more stuff.

I still fold my clothes and relocated my daily around the house clothing to a drawer in the bathroom, which is where I change my clothing. Silly thing but it makes life easier.

Geila, if gathering all books is overwhelming, then start with a sub-group. Gather all reference books, for example. When done with those, gather all self-help, etc.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I think you'll like this decluttering method, Geila. Let us know how it goes after you organize a few categories.

Geila
    I do like the intense project-oriented approach and also really like the gratitude-focused mindset that she encourages and that becomes the foundation for interacting with belongings and environment.

I'm thinking of devoting afternoons to this project as the weather has been heating up and I can't be outside during that time anyway. That might allow my the mental/emotional space to not feel overwhelmed by it all.

I'll let you guys know how it goes after I start! Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I even bought one of those crazy Tshirt folders and used it to fold every single Tshirt. LOVELY. They take up a quarter of the space and it is so easy to find what I want. Less wrinkled also.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-T-Shirt-Folder
    http://lifehacker.com/5986437/build-...-and-duct-tape

Or learn to do it by hand, rather then spending the money to look like a tv physicist.
    http://lifehacker.com/5981725/most-p...in-two-seconds

I picked up herr book after seeing the discussion here, when I found it at a damaged freight store in their book section, cheap. I need to remember to grab it on the way out for reading, since I am out wondering and waiting a lot currently.

Thread Information