Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying out the KonMari Method

When I reorganized my closet, I checked each item for stains, tears and wearability before hanging it in the closet. I did not thank them but was aware of how much use I had gotten from many of my pieces. Cost per wear now very low.

I ask myself "would I wear this to see someone that I only see once a year?" There's the answer on whether to keep it.

The thanking part meant a lot me. I hate waste and get very attached to things. Giving them a send off helped me let go.

Gard: you would be so surprised at how good it feels to have empty spaces and not so much stuff. I would assign your 2 messy people zones where they can live how they want and have the main common living areas clean and not cluttered. When you start it has a snowball affect where the more you do and see the results the more you want to do. I like to donate stuff that is good enough because then it doesn't feel like I wasted $. I only throw away that which is junk. I did a lot of it on weekends when I was still working f.t. Now I don't have to do it much because I am conscious of what I bring in and of course my messy partner can only fill up his designated zones and I can close the doors to those areas when others come over.

Junior Member minimalisticaspirations's Avatar
    I learned a lot from KonMari. I especially liked the folding tricks. However for someone who have collecting tendencies & a poverty mentality so many things may "spark joy" that you end up just as messy. Noticing that in myself, a far better question/way of thinking was to consider something necessary or truly useful.

It is also a very feminine book. That kind of language really seems to resonate with women. If a man wrote such a book the content would be very different, donīt you think? The book an be very helpful in som e aspects, but it shouldnīt be considered a "bible", more like an nice add on the bookshelf.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalisticaspirations View Post
    I learned a lot from KonMari. I especially liked the folding tricks. However for someone who have collecting tendencies & a poverty mentality so many things may "spark joy" that you end up just as messy. Noticing that in myself, a far better question/way of thinking was to consider something necessary or truly useful.

It is also a very feminine book. That kind of language really seems to resonate with women. If a man wrote such a book the content would be very different, donīt you think? The book an be very helpful in som e aspects, but it shouldnīt be considered a "bible", more like an nice add on the bookshelf.
    I heard the book was feminine, but I still intend to read it eventually.

Geila
    I've cleared out the living room floor for the clothes. I'm not looking forward to it. Dreading it really. I'm afraid I'm going to feel like a fool for all the money wasted on crappy clothes.

I guess the book is feminine, she certainly doesn't talk about organizing a garage! . What struck me was the fact that she only talks about clothes, books and misc. I was like, what about all the other stuff? But coming from a young person - 20's I think - it makes sense, especially someone in Japan. When I was young I basically just had clothes, shoes, makeup and accessories.

Geila
    Today is the day for the clothes inventory. You know you're really dreading something when the idea of cleaning the bathroom sounds better!

This morning I was like, the bathrooms need cleaning.... I should do that first. Of course I should have enough time to do both and the bathrooms should be last since I'll want to shower after cleaning them... yeah, I'm gonna feel like a fool very soon here.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Today is the day for the clothes inventory.
    You can do this. It will take grit, but you can do it!

Geila
    Well, I got the clothes done. And you guys were right, getting started was the hardest part. It was a bit oppressive and overwhelming when I started dumping all the clothes on the floor. And seeing just how much clothing had been stuffed in my closet and dressers was embarrassing. But once I got going it was much better than I'd expected.

I thought I was going to have a bunch of clothing mistakes and feel bad about myself and my choices/actions. And there were a few items that never felt/fit/looked good, so those should have been returned promptly instead of being kept around. But overall, not much. (Interesting how we always remember and focus on our failures rather than our successes.) Most of the clothes were many years old and had gotten lots of use in that time. I had a good amount of work clothes that I'll probably never use again so I got rid of most of that and kept just a few good pieces.

Ended up taking 6 bags to Goodwill and 1 bag for recycling of clothes too worn out to donate. I thanked all my clothes and wished them a good journey on their next lives and a good rest for the ones who retired. I probably got rid of 70% or so of my clothes. Now my clothes look like pretty store displays instead of warehouse storage. I got all my laundry done and now everything is clean, stored in spacious areas according to how I use them, and it feels great.

Interesting how much lighter my room feels now. It feels more full of air - not weighted down by the heaviness of all that mass.

I'll see if I want to tackle the books today or get others things done - like cleaning those bathrooms that didn't get done yesterday!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Thread Information