Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike/foot commute

Bike/foot commute

For a little over the past month I have switched from driving to work (from my old place) to biking or walking to work (from my new place).

I have noticed a few things:

-I used to dilly-dally in the mornings because I did not want to drive the 20-40 minute commute.

-Now I get out the door without nearly as much dilly-dallying because riding my bike is generally enjoyable.

-I used to gather up my stuff at the end of the day in a mad rush and haul butt out the door to try to "beat the traffic" which rarely had much effect and could have been mere coincidence really, when the traffic was heavy or lighter.

-Now I am less hurried; I take my time putting on my helmet, pant leg straps, etc. I talk to some coworkers on my way out too, as my mood is a little lighter knowing I am not driving.

My very part-time work is too far to walk/bike for me. I used to drive it but decided to start taking the bus since it's on the route and is free for university staff. It is amazing how pleasant it is to be able to forget about the stress of driving and parking. While waiting at the bus stop, I can't help but notice the dour expressions on driver's faces as they drive by.

I love walking to work, and biking places. I dislike driving, but love walking and biking. It's a much better way to start and finish the workday.

I've handed in my notice - only 3 more work days for me! I'll still be working a bit as an on-call substitute, free to say "Nope, not today!"
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

My dream is to only bike and walk anywhere I needed to go.

Walkability is now our most important question when looking at houses. Can we get what we need walking only? The grocery is the big one. We have two is less than one mile in our downtown neighborhood. Where we want to move next has one in one block.

Our main grocery is three blocks away but alas we are moving away.

The other thing I noticed when I'm bike commuting is that I sort of feel sorry for the guys stuck in cars in traffic. A lot of them look like they are in a bad mood, while you're out enjoying the fresh air. Although I can avoid much traffic, thanks to some nice bike lanes and trails.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    While waiting at the bus stop, I can't help but notice the dour expressions on driver's faces as they drive by.
    So true!

Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    My dream is to only bike and walk anywhere I needed to go.
    I could probably do this, though I'd have to throw in a bus ride to go a couple places.

Geila
    Congrats on the new commute!

Thread Information