Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: still on the quitting journey

I was a heavy smoker and found using nicotine gum the only thing that helped me quit.

I did it gradually, substituting gum for cigarettes until I was no longer smoking. Of course, I was then addicted to the gum...

Nicotine is the most addictive substance there is. Go buy a box of gum and try it out. You don't even have to say to yourself that you're quitting, just get your fix in a different way.

It's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I was a heavy smoker and found using nicotine gum the only thing that helped me quit.

I did it gradually, substituting gum for cigarettes until I was no longer smoking. Of course, I was then addicted to the gum...

Nicotine is the most addictive substance there is. Go buy a box of gum and try it out. You don't even have to say to yourself that you're quitting, just get your fix in a different way.

It's a start.
    Those vaporizers are supposed to really help too. From what I understand they do not hurt one's lungs. Nicotine is still an known neurotoxin though.

Let's revive this one, I left work on Friday exhausted and my chest aching. It was a very stressful week, kinda the week of as-holes. But I still kept the amount of smoking down. I made it through this weekend without mostly because I felt like crap, on the verge of a bronchitis type thing so lots of motivation to not smoke. I have gum and snacks and everything I need.

Here is my question to people who have quit, they say that the craving lasts 3-5 minutes. I put some very short meditations on my phone for those times. However I crave highly for at least 30 minutes, and then it lingers in the back of my head for another hour or three. Would be a LOT easier if the craving was 5 minutes and then I caught a break. Tomorrow I will be back at work and the short meditations are my go-to, but I am enjoying breathing better after 2 1/2 days!

maybe this will give you food for thought. I have been asking my husband to quit smoking for years. For many reasons. One was that when he got ready to retire, he would need health insurance until time for medicare. Well, that time is here. He is 63.5 yrs old and wants to retire. He cannot because he cannot afford health insurance or life insurance for a smoker.

thank you, I smoked for 2 years as a teen, quit for about 20, smoked on and off for another 2 years, quit for 2. This has been 6 months and I am finding it much harder this time. But I know I can do it and I know I have a life that supports me as a non-smoker. So going to grit my teeth through it for the 2 weeks I hear are the worst!

Yes, the first 2 weeks are the hardest. 3-5 minute cravings? Yeah, I've read that too. It's just that the cravings keep coming back!

Doing a bit better this long weekend. I am using my meditation practice to note when I get cravings and what the emotions are around them. A lot of my cravings are based on emotional states. I have a moderately stressful summer camp however the hours are shorter so I am putting exercise and meditation as my primary goals along with doing social things. Sitting home alone all weekend is really not helpful! I have a vacation with a friend in one month and we will be doing a lot of hiking so I have a goal.

The good news is that I am actually having the craving time get shorter!! I am still having one now and then however I am not dealing with the 'crawling out of my skin' feeling for 30 minutes at a time.

Thread Information