Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use glass containers to store dry foods?

Geila

Do you use glass containers to store dry foods?

Some years ago it was all the rage to store dry foods in tall glass canisters - pasta, rice, beans, etc. I used to do it but over time got away from it and now I'm wondering if I should keep these containers and use them, or donate. What I'm wondering is if food will go stale faster if it's taken out of it's packaging and put into clear containers. The containers would be kept inside the pantry so would not be exposed to light.

I have about 6 of them - 3 with wooden lids, 2 with metal ones, and a few with handles for easy pouring (with plastic lids that turn and seal).

Not sure if this should go in the products or food section....

I use glass jars ro sotre beans and any rice that is in a plastic bag.

I do all the time, I make my own dried blueberries when they are on sale and I store them, varieties of dried beans, I would need a really large one for rice so I don't do that, and I just bought flax seeds.

I have not found that food of the type I store would go bad faster, it is easier to keep in my cabinet than a lot of bags of food.

We used them in the 50s/60s due to weevil issues in food brought into the house. As airtight as possible is the key.

DH calls me the jar queen as I have just about everything in recycled glass jars these days. I store rice and other grains in the freezer in jars. We don't eat pasta much anymore but I keep spaghetti in tall metal tins.

Geila
    Thanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and use them. Last night I started putting some things in them. The dried fruit idea is really good, I hadn't thought of that. I put two boxes of raisins in jars and it looks so cute!

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Yes! I like my glass containers. The sight of the beans, grains, raisins, rice, legumes, nuts and what-not peering through the glass makes me smile. Healthy food, waiting to be painted into some succulent dish...

And, as mentioned above, no more inseect infestation wandering through the cupboards..any critters are contained within the glass and it's easy to see any hints of bugs. Things that come in cardboard seem quite prone to bugs...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Some, yes. Because I have them, they are washable, and they were free. If any get broken, I tend to replace them with plastic, because of personal preference for when a old shoulder/back injury pops up.

Just a side note: I remember the huge mess on the kitchen floor when all mom's glass containers flew off the shelf during the 1964 Alaskan earthquake. But we had much more important things to worry about. One reason I do not like glass things at or above my head.

Yes, we put all our bulk things into glass jars. We bring the jars to the store and weigh them empty, and fill them on the spot. The cashier deducts the weight of the jar from the price.
    We had a bad experience with a bunch of moths coming from a bag of rice - took months to get rid of them!
    I leave pasta in the package until use.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information