Thread: Fishing

Fishing

Like UA, I live in Ohio, near the Maumee river, East Harbor, great fishing spots... And I and my kids (7 and 4) enjoy fishing. The thing is, I don't know much about it, so we don't catch much. Meaning, we are lucky if we get 1 baby cat fish out of several trips. So, I would appreciate pointers or a good book to get us started.

merince:

Do you live near any smaller inland lakes?

Do you fish from shore or from a watercraft?

Once I know this I can give you some good tips.

UL:

We are reasonably near Harrison lake, which I am lead to believe is reasonably stocked. Also near a couple of reservoirs. We have canoes, row boat and access to a pontoon boat. We have done fishing both from shore and craft. My FIL was an avid fisherman as was my grandpa and we inherited the tackle store. Unfortunately, I obviously wasn't paying attention when he used to take me fishing.

We are decent with the spin cast net and have no trouble catching shiners. We have plenty of worms, too.

I appreciate your help.

merince:

This is the gear I would use at Harrison:

6-9 foot light rods with 6 pound test line.

Get you a minnow bucket and some minnows (use small minnows, sometimes called crappie minnows). Get you some nightcrawlers too.

You'll need a couple floats. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Thills-America...r_1_65&sr=8-65

You will need some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Strike-King-Cr...ishing&sr=1-19

Try the minnows first.

So rig up the float about 2 feet above the jig/hook. Put the minnow on the hook. Cast it out. You can adjust the distance between the float and the hook from 2 to about 6 feet.

You will want to cast around fallen trees, on the edge of weed beds, and around interesting underwater topography like drop-offs.

You can try letting the minnow just sit for a while, or twitch it a little to entice a bite. Go fishing in the morning or evening to improve your odds.

This ought to catch you some crappie and bluegill. You are on the tail end of the season for crappie and bluegill up there. You might get some catfish this way too.

Try this from shore or from a watercraft. Get a net to help land fish you catch.

I know this sounds simple, or it ought to, because it is.

These are some of the fundamentals.

Harrison Lake is a good bet for fishing this time of year. Also, inland lakes are excellent for really learning to fish.

Polarized fishing sunglasses will help you "sight fish" so wear them! You can see fish swimming deep down or far off on clear days in clear water areas.

Thanks, UL!

UL, couldn't you come to my area and teach me and my grandson to fish?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    Like UA, I live in Ohio, near the Maumee river, East Harbor, great fishing spots... And I and my kids (7 and 4) enjoy fishing. The thing is, I don't know much about it, so we don't catch much. Meaning, we are lucky if we get 1 baby cat fish out of several trips. So, I would appreciate pointers or a good book to get us started.
    Have you checked with your conservation agent in your county? Here they offer a lot of kid classes, women's classes and camps or they'll put you in touch with someone who is interested in mentoring a new fisher (or hunter).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    UL, couldn't you come to my area and teach me and my grandson to fish?
    I would if I was there. haha

Good idea, Float On! I might look into that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    Good idea, Float On! I might look into that, too.

Thread Information