Thread: What happens after the big "clean"/decluttering/stuff purging?

Junior Member minimalisticaspirations's Avatar

What happens after the big "clean"/decluttering/stuff purging?

Every time I finish decluttering and simplifying a closet or compartment in my home, I feel sort of empty afterwards. At the same time I feel calm, relieved, and content after finishing a task. It is just like I hid behind my stuff and now I´m exposed, naked, when they are gone.

At the time of the decluttering I usually feel happy, determined, focused. But after...questions like what now? what am I going to do instead of maintaining my belongings (that obviously were time consuming)? What should I fill this new open space (mentally) with? Seems like it takes a while to sink in.

Did you experience something similar? I´d like to hear your thoughts!

For me, last year was my 100 items a month challenge, I started over and went back through every area I'd purged. Then I went back through and did some serious deep cleaning and refreshing like repainting trim, scrubbing the vent covers and light fixtures, deciding some things needed replaced. I was finally coming to peace with all I'd done and felt comfortable and then the kids (and stuff) moved home from college and we had our water damage and now I feel like I need to start all over again.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Yes, we all experience this.

I think we, as humans feeling empty for lots of reasons at lots of times. We really do just need to sit with it, accept it. Like boredom, certain amounts of pain, grief, and so on. This is part of human life. Why? I know not.

A key thing to remember is that decluttering something is not the be-all-end-all. It is not your destination.

Minimalism is a meta-lifestyle. That is to say it is a lifestyle for the lifestyle you want.

For instance, if you want to travel the world then you minimize in a way that allows you to do so. Perhaps you get rid of tons of stuff so you can come and go easily. Perhaps you live frugally so you can afford flights to this or that place.

As for me, I minimized so I could enjoy my hobbies more -- things I am passionate about and care about. This includes fishing and, now, cycle commuting and hanging out with Harlan and reading good books and meditating.

After you declutter, take a rest. Then go do the things you decluttered to have the space and time and resources to do!

I am living that feeling right now as we prepare to move from our house of over 15 years. Every object that finds a new home makes me feel lighter but also as if I am letting go of a part of myself. It is a very peculiar state of mind I think - not bad, just undefinable and weird. There is also a sense of regret over how much time and money went into all these things that mean very little now. I tell myself that it is about renewal like a snake shedding its skin. Like UL, I hope that having less to keep up with frees up time for just experiencing our new locale and activities.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    There is also a sense of regret over how much time and money went into all these things that mean very little now.
    Can I get an amen?!

I try not to dwell on this though. Just move forward!

Like PT I feel bad that I spent so much $ on crap that I am now giving away. However, now when I want to buy something I ask myself will I be hauling it to the thrift store in a few years? Mostly I just feel great with less junk and the fact that I can clean so much faster now. I don't like a bare look but I no longer want to have a zillion nik-naks, etc. If I go into someone's home and there is nothing on walls, coffee table etc at all I actually feel uncomfortable. I have only known a few people in my life that live like that.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalisticaspirations View Post
    Every time I finish decluttering and simplifying a closet or compartment in my home, I feel sort of empty afterwards. At the same time I feel calm, relieved, and content after finishing a task. It is just like I hid behind my stuff and now I´m exposed, naked, when they are gone.

At the time of the decluttering I usually feel happy, determined, focused. But after...questions like what now? what am I going to do instead of maintaining my belongings (that obviously were time consuming)? What should I fill this new open space (mentally) with? Seems like it takes a while to sink in.

Did you experience something similar? I´d like to hear your thoughts!
    Watch this. He talks eloquently about the emptiness and feeling exposed.

RoseQuartz
    Last edited by RoseQuartz; 6-16-16 at 4:16pm.

RoseQuartz
    Last edited by RoseQuartz; 6-16-16 at 4:16pm.

Thread Information