Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Farewell

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    A person who lives in a high-rise in town and spends his/her time ensconced in society will be less connected to nature, ergo will likely have less respect for it. More likely to see nature as a set of commodities. A person who spends more time in nature will be more likely to feel interconnected, more respectful. So when they "impinge" they are doing so with intention and respect and more likely minimize their impact because if you live closer to nature you know that whatever you do to "it," you do to yourself.
    That sounds like a "have your cake and eat it too" argument to me. Justifying a bigger footprint on the land in terms of spread-out infrastructure and living space than an oblivious high rise dweller by saying you care more deeply than he does.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That sounds like a "have your cake and eat it too" argument to me. Justifying a bigger footprint on the land in terms of spread-out infrastructure and living space than an oblivious high rise dweller by saying you care more deeply than he does.
    But you may well care more deeply and you may have a positive impact o the land. We garden organically and have noticed that when we buy a place, there are no birds or wildlife to speak of, but as we build the soil, stop the poisons, and grow a very wide variety of plants, we attract incredible numbers of birds and other animals. We have always left the land better off than we found it. We build soil and we restore the buildings, so that when we have left, others have been able to have a very nice habitation.

But I'm not justifying a bigger footprint. I'm not talking about the natural splendor of suburban sprawl--I'm simply saying that the more connected people are with the natural world, the more likely they are to treat it kindly. As Tybee said, "being nice to Mother Nature" has a payoff for her human offspring as well.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    But you may well care more deeply and you may have a positive impact o the land. We garden organically and have noticed that when we buy a place, there are no birds or wildlife to speak of, but as we build the soil, stop the poisons, and grow a very wide variety of plants, we attract incredible numbers of birds and other animals. We have always left the land better off than we found it. We build soil and we restore the buildings, so that when we have left, others have been able to have a very nice habitation.
    We've noticed the same thing Tybee. The guy who built this house used to spend hours and hours mowing all the fields. We've let it all grow up and have had increasing number of birds and other animals over those 32 years. I can even at times hear the earth sigh with relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Nooooo!

This place needs your wisdom. I urge you to reconsider.
    UL, if you see this, I hope you consider what you said a few years ago when WS announced his departure. I also hope your absence is as short-lived as his was.

UL, if you see this, I hope you consider what you said a few years ago when WS announced his departure. I also hope your absence is as short-lived as his was.
    Whew!!! For a minute there I thought we were losing Williamsmith, too!

As for the sentiment to UL, +1
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information