Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander

I'm re reading this as a church in town is having a discussion group using this book It is horrifying. The numbers she cites on incarceration and the laws put in to assure mainly people, young people of color would be dragged into the penal system, then systematically kept from making any life afterwards just appall me. I am curious if any one here has read it and what your reaction is. I taught in a city school for 18 years during the time the "drug wars" began. I remember thinking then that the suburbs had just as many drugs...but also remember thinking that "3 strikes and you're out" was reasonable. It is eye opening. Now what to do with this anger....

I'll add this book to my reading list. I think one way to fix this, besides lessening the draconian and imbalanced punishments, is to end things when they have paid their debt to society.
    Meaning, your voting rights get restored, you can get a professional license, etc. That's the least we can do, instead of the current system which penalizes people to the end of their lives.

Plus the housing ban, job ban, food stamp ban all if you are a felon and the definition of a felon is clearing different for poor people than middle class and up. Look at how now that "heroin" is problem for middle class white kids we need treatment centers. As long as it stayed in the ghetto only jail is the option. Gnashing my teeth here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I'll add this book to my reading list. I think one way to fix this, besides lessening the draconian and imbalanced punishments, is to end things when they have paid their debt to society.
    Meaning, your voting rights get restored, you can get a professional license, etc. That's the least we can do, instead of the current system which penalizes people to the end of their lives.
    Lessening "punishments?" So, you would reduce the severity of gun charges and cnsequences? Really?

DH was on the grand jury for 3 months for this city and he heard hundreds of gun cases.

The punishments are for drugs. Transporting drugs when stopped for some other reason....or no reason. Guns- armed robbery- domestic violence- yes, bad punishments but drugs? Really, what happens to drunk drivers who KILL? No nearly as much as transporting or having drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    How far are you willing to extend "the least we can do"? Would this apply to say, a sex offender having his record expunged and his teaching credential restored after paying his debt to society?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    How far are you willing to extend "the least we can do"? Would this apply to say, a sex offender having his record expunged and his teaching credential restored after paying his debt to society?
    It would depend what his offense was. If it involved children than no. If it involved adult women or men, sure why shouldn't it be restored? And if he wanted to go to school to become an electrician or plumber or some other licensed professional after he got out I'd be cool with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It would depend what his offense was. If it involved children than no. If it involved adult women or men, sure why shouldn't it be restored? And if he wanted to go to school to become an electrician or plumber or some other licensed professional after he got out I'd be cool with that too.
    So deciding whose past can be concealed would depend on who the offender raped?

Call me vindictive, but if the plumber my wife or daughter opens the door to has a rape conviction, I'd like to know about it.

The book addresses The War on Drugs, not any other crimes.

This might also be of interest:

Thread Information