Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So many selfies on Facebook......

So many selfies on Facebook......

What does it mean when people put their own faces on their Facebook page all the time? I get embarrassed for them! Is it a cry for acceptance? A test? A narcissism? I find it very curious.

CathyA:

You are speaking to my very soul in this social critique!

Back when I was online dating I had a rule:

If a woman had more than 5 selfies on her profile I would not talk to her.

I have friends that take selfies and change their profile pics every week it seems. To me it's embarrassing, because then people feel compelled to "like" the pic. I don't get it. My DD has been BEGGING me to change my profile pic to a really nice one of me that she took. If I could just quietly upload it without it winding up as big as a billboard in my newsfeed I'd do it. I told her that one Sunday morning at 2am I'll get up and and change it when no one is likely to be online.

It is interesting how much people like taking pictures of themselves.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

After my year without pictures I have not really regained an interest in them, and beyond that I always thought selfies were just the huge red flag in a person that says: "I am vain!"

Maybe if I were more "attractive" and confident, I'd do it more, but I don't think so. I mean, seriously, why??
    I have a relative who has been very unsociable most of his life, but has discovered Facebook and posts many pics of himself now. I'm thinking, in this case, he's trying to force acceptance. (like "here I am, with all my flaws........take me or leave me........but I sure hope you take me!!! Please!!). I just find it borders on psychological funkiness. Exhibitionism??
    Then I have another ex-relative who posts pics of herself almost daily. It's funny......sometimes, when she posts herself with others (boyfriend, son, etc.) her face is in the middle and sometimes the other person's face isn't all in the pic. Yeah.....it's definitely funky.

There is a feedback loop. People who like to see pics of themselves take more pics of themselves and they like seeing them so they take more. On and on...

I don't understand, and never have understood,the obsession of taking hundreds of photos, period.

But certanly selfies are a new tangent.

Last night We had an event at the Botanical
    gardens and I spent time with somene who had taken 60 photos of designs at the big flower show, and printed them. Printed them! Who does that!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don't understand, and never have understood,the obsession of taking hundreds of photos, period.
    People take pics, I think, to try to make a naturally temporary moment into something permanent.

Well, I'm guilty of taking lots of pics........of flowers, birds, clouds, vegetables, etc. I guess, for me, it's an attempt to capture that beautiful visual moment forever.

Thread Information