Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So many selfies on Facebook......

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Well, I'm guilty of taking lots of pics........of flowers, birds, clouds, vegetables, etc. I guess, for me, it's an attempt to capture that beautiful visual moment forever.
    This is very common. I think the incessant selfies are a whole different beast though.

Well, I'm guilty of taking lots of pics........of flowers, birds, clouds, vegetables, etc. I guess, for me, it's an attempt to capture that beautiful visual moment forever.
    with you it's artistic expression

with online personal pics they are probably just trying to give a somewhat accurate although flattering picture of what they look like (and in some cases to convey what they enjoy doing, depending on the context). With facebook though I don't know, it probably is kind of vain.
    Trees don't grow on money

Watched a girl on a flight from Charlotte to Chicago take selfie after selfie, she never put her phone down.
    Just how many times she posted "this flight is so boring but here I am" I have no idea. I was begging for her battery to die...but she pulled out a spare!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I suppose if you studied 100 different selfie changers you'd probably get 100 different reasons, as with most things involving people's habits and reasons. Among the friends I have who change their selfies my impression is that the couple that do it on a weekly, if not more often, basis, are indeed insecure in some way. Among my friends that change their profile pic less than once a month there are probably more reasons. Some probably just want to change it up, others do so whenever they get a really good photo of themselves that they like, etc. I figure these people don't have any more emotional issues than someone who likes to change up their avatar on a chat forum from time to time.

Personally I change my profile pic maybe once a year, but I've been known to post almost daily pics of my cat on my news feed. Apparently the rest of the world thinks he's as adorable as I do because I get more comments and emojis for pics of him than I do for anything else I post. Like anyone else I like the positive feedback that those posts bring, so I keep doing them.

I've mostly avoided cameras for years; taking incessant selfies or hundreds of pictures of oneself seems bizarre bordering on pathological to me. But maybe it's the reverse of the old superstition about photographs stealing your soul--such people may need constant reassurance that they exist? Or maybe it's a perfectly natural human preoccupation. What do I know.

However, I have pictures of art/craft/inspiration that I would love to have printed records of, if I could wave a magic wand. I look at them over and over as it is, and it would be great to have them organized into albums.

Jane "such people may need constant reassurance that they exist?" LOL! Maybe that's it.

Selfies are obviously used by people with low self esteem to make themselves feel better, unless they're used by high self esteem people to verify their high opinions of themselves. They're obviously not used by normal folks:

Oh,,wait...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I have several "friends" who are chronic selfie-takers. And it is embarrassing and uncomfortable to witness. These women are in their 60s, probably used to be attractive, but aren't any longer, really. I get the feeling they think they're pretty cute. Another must never eat at home; she is constantly posting photos of herself eating at restaurants. Just staring in the camera with a plate of food in front of her. Weird.
    ETA: I've just read this and it sounds pretty mean....but it really does make me feel uncomfortable. Maybe it's MY problem.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I think a few selfies here or there can be fun, as noted sardonically by Alan.

Recently I cut my beard into a goatee, dyed it pitch black (to better match my hair), and slicked my hair back like a greaser. This was funny, so I took a selfie and sent it to a couple friends who got a laugh out of it.

Then I deleted it.

The people in my circle who do lots of selfies seem to be fishing for someone to say "oh you look great". One extended family member does this, usually with a duckface and her hands on her hips in a model pose. She's really a pretty woman, but she comes across as desperate and looking for attention.

Thread Information