Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So many selfies on Facebook......

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Every generation thinks the next generation are a bunch of eff ups who are going to ruin the world.
    I would say they have all been correct.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I would say they have all been correct.
    Does your new apartment building have a lawn? Or do you just randomly yell out the window at the kids walking down the sidewalk on the principal that they need to be yelled at for their own good even if they aren't ruining the lawn?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Does your new apartment building have a lawn? Or do you just randomly yell out the window at the kids walking down the sidewalk on the principal that they need to be yelled at for their own good even if they aren't ruining the lawn?
    I say: "Dag nabbit, you whippersnappers! Respect your elders!"

I have only pictures in a box from years ago, about 20 years ago of the kids mostly.Then I totally stopped and that is not many. Never been a picture fan. Smart phone brought the picture easy and fast. I never got into it at all, maybe 20 at a time on phone of which I delete often. I have never enjoyed "looking" back at what is past even if it was just last week.

Fast forward to FB which I am attempting to use now for the last couple months after trying it off and on for the last few years. I do like seeing others pictures, happy smiles and fun times. The selfies of just their face is strange to me. I have only two showing off new hats. I am kinda ashamed I posted those feeling like "look at me". I actually wonder why I feel like this? Are others smiles better than mine? Are they happier? Are their lives more exciting? Sometimes FB seems to me to be a Look At How Wonderful I am doing type place. I do not ever remember back in the day life being like that. Photo Albums were taken by the person or others so selfies were not common.

Yes it is weird to me, selfies.

I like looking at pictures in facebook - not so much the generic selfies, but the ones of people I know actually being somewhere or doing something. I don't post much, but putting up nothing kind of makes it feel like I'm stalking.

I have to admit, I have a couple relatives on facebook, and I look at their stuff often......but it's more like being compelled to look at an accident scene/road kill. It's a mix of curiosity/amusement/disbelief.
    One of them is always posing like a model.......one hand on hip, turned to the side, same alluring look on face. Yeah......road kill.
    There have been times when I'm so tempted to take a picture of myself, trying to look the same........but I'm overweight, white haired, wrinkled...but I would have the same stance, stick out my boobs, hand on hip and as alluring a look as I could muster.......and post it on her facebook page. But I won't.

...Back in the Day.......It was difficult to take a selfie. Plus maybe we would have been classified as vain if we had a collection of selfies. Today it seems it is more of a Look at me thing. 15 minutes of fame today is far less fleeting if we can keep snapping pics and posting.

I enjoy seeing the occasional selfies posted by friends on FB, but I do think it's unhealthy when someone's primary hobby seems to be taking & posting pictures of herself (Yes, it's usually a her and not a him, although not always). Most of my friends who do this actually have mental health issues of one kind or another.
    Alan, anyone can see that taking selfies are not your primary interest in life, so that's not what I'm talking about. You are clearly a person of many activities and interests.
    I'm referring more to those shots so often taken in front of the bathroom mirror; you would think someone could at least find a better backdrop!
    I think photography can be a wonderful hobby (thinking of you Cathy A!), but a constant series of self-portraits of the photographer just doesn't seem like it would be very gratifying.

Thread Information