Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formaldehyde, what I did not know

Formaldehyde, what I did not know

Formaldehyde is in so many things, not just embalmed bodies. All my years of reading and learning about green, environment, healthy choices, i must have missed this lovely item added to so much that touches my body and life.

I have suffered greatly for about 5 years from a skin out break, blisters and pain/fire outbreak. This happens about June thru August. One year in while in the South it was over the top painful and all over. One time in passing I asked my doctor if it was Shingles, No probably just a contact dermatitis. I thought I had poisoned my body a few years ago when I was on a homemade everything diet. Homemade Yogurt,Kumbucha,Cottage Cheese I thought it had done something wrong. I tried every health fix on the net, plastered my self in Yogurt, peroxide and coconut oil, oh the list goes on. This year I feared the coming months of pain and went to the Dermatologist at the first red bump. Results came back and she asked IF I wore compression or exercise clothing. YES I run and wear them. That was it. I research greatly and was astounded at the Formaldehyde or by other names in our clothing. Wicking clothing is the worse, mixed with sweat it became a big issue. Formaldehyde was list as allergen of the year 2015. This was unheard of a generation ago, remember ironing sheets? USA has the must lax standards for clothing compared to Europe.

I seem to only have the issue when it is really hot and I am in tight running clothes. I had in the last three years thought the opposite that I needed all wicking to stop the sweating, so I have lots of this type clothes. Now I have researched to no end looking for alternative fabrics, it is nearly impossible.

Wow, that sounds eacky!

I have always wondered, though, why sweat must be wicked away. I wear a sweatband n the summer to keep sweat out of my eyes because it stings.
    But otherwise, I wear cotton clothing that is breathable and of course t gets wet, but so what?

Iris lilies, it may depend on your climate.

if it is dry, the sweat gets wicked away through evaporation from your clothing. This cools you and keeps you from having soggy wet skin that can get rubbed and blistered or irritated more easily. If it is humid, the sweat just soaks into your skin and you get waterlogged (like staying in a bath too long) so the wicking clothing pulls the sweat away from your skin, mocking evaporation.

ctg, wool is an excellent alternative. It sound hot, but lightweight wool breathes naturally and is actually cooler than many synthetics.

I have once again over studied an issue My thought today is I can not possible remove this from my life totally , I do care about how I look somewhat. Working out in cotton was terrible. Cotton is still a bad offender of chemicals, though less than wicking clothing.SO where does this leave me, very confused as I would not want formaldehyde near me, but todays world little choice. I stared at my large collection of bright colored running clothes today, I know they have to go.

wool interesting

I know the last few years, there have been issues with flooring from a company, and I think I remember it being found in Chinese drywall. The other thing I remember it being used for was drugs. When I cleaned out the crawlspace, I pulled out a five gallon steel bucket that once contained it, back from when my grandfather worked in the funeral home. I thought about keeping it for a couple months, for Halloween, but said no.
    A neighbor years back, who was a medic in Korea, said to me when he was younger, a doctor he knew said that cancer rates were going up and going to continue with all the chemicals we are exposing and overexposing ourselves to. I know I had a relative that died, long before I was born; they were said to have seriously over used bleach and maybe other chemicals (bleach was the one remembered). If it said a cup, they tended to use half a gallon, etc.

I read all suggestions on how to rid new clothing of the dreaded stuff.Some were just plain washing a few times line drying, another included Lemon Juice, yet another was dried milk mix and soak. I get that, but I have two very fav pairs of running capris, 5 years old....how many times have those been washed I asked myself and always line dried.

I guess right now I am thinking how much my body has absorbed over the years.

I've been using light-weight merino wool or silk for base layers for wicking/cooling/warmth.

For some of my endeavors, I'm not allowed to use synthetics that can melt, or cotton.

wool is an excellent alternative. It sound hot, but lightweight wool breathes naturally and is actually cooler than many synthetics.
    I second that. I have a merino wool sports bra as well as a T shirt. Neither itch at all, and are very comfortable.

Thank you I just researched and found smartwool.com I will have to see how the fabric is processed. Looks nice but wow pricey.

Looks nice but wow pricey.
    That's why I only have 2 pieces. Ibex and Icebreaker are other brands that merino wool fans like. Being a short woman, I find the T shirts to be way too long on me.

Thread Information