Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formaldehyde, what I did not know

Think I heard that a new act passed today requiring more oversight of chemicals in consumer products. Formaldehyde was mentioned.

SO it has been the hottest part of summer through my attempting to change from products with Formaldehyde, which also has had me changing many products with bad stuff in them. It has been a process, since I can't replace everything I own and many things are not even available without making my own. Yes over the years I have attempted to remove such from my life, but being an average consumer I have found it hard and usually reverted since what is on the market and I became a creature of habit, so to say.

Here are major things I have changed some 100% better choices others the best I can do:
    Tom's toothpaste and Deodorant: Toothpaste great, Deodorant I use but it is not anti perspirant, but we all know reasons for no antiperspirant so it ok
    Home made deodorant: good when I have a low energy day
    Burts Bees Shampoo and Conditioner: It took about two weeks to get used to the change of feeling of my hair. Now I love it and will never go back to the others. I have longer hair and have tried no poo, homemade with no luck.
    Sal Suds for my Laundry: will never go back to the others. But my family clothing still use the regular detergent.
    Dr Bronners: for everything cleaning. All I will use from now on
    Clothing Choices: This is hard as I can not replace my entire wardrobe and the choice are limited. I gave all my running and exercise clothes to a neighbor who was thrilled to get them. I must way it is weird to see her out running in my outfits. I quit running and am Nordic walking so I am ok with out the total wicking outfits. I bought organic cotton and hemp clothing to exercise in. Ok that was hard at first as I am dripping in sweat but now it is what it is. I ordered my fall clothing in organic cotton and hemp also. Expensive but I was replacing items and wanted to to do.
    Cosmetics:: I found a few organic vegan products I actually love and tossed the old stuff. Cosmetics and researching them, wow and why is it markets to usI replaced with organic/vegan and am happy with the choices
    Soaps: have always used homemade, dusting powder homemade too
    Sun Screen: sorry but no choices
    Foods: I have worked all summer changing my diet to remove the processed foods that I still consumed, I will never be a total perfect diet. I am a Vegetarian anyhow and have tried to be careful anyhow. Ok the bowl of Cheetos last night doesn't count!

Sure I missed some, but It is a struggle with what we have offered to us.

My biggy right now is strong insect repellent. Not for Zika but for regular mosquitoes. Cannot be out for even 2 minutes without bites. Wish there was something strong, safe and scent free.

I know. I am out all the time, but mosquitos are not present in our area so far this year strange but hot and dry I guess. I do use a homemade product from a lady, does it work I really am not sure as no bugs out. But I do wear it. Last year the mosquitos were bad so I kept Deep Woods Off on the utility box out side the back door and gave my legs and arms a spray before walking dogs. SO it stained the siding, no amount of cleaning took it off! This year it appears to have changed the siding color in the over spray spots. After seeing that I will never use those products again.

But what is a person to use with all the mosquitos and the people in the ZIKA/ West Niles areas?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    My biggy right now is strong insect repellent. Not for Zika but for regular mosquitoes. Cannot be out for even 2 minutes without bites. Wish there was something strong, safe and scent free.
    Living in Miami, US base of Zika, I've been spraying my kids and myself with OFF! each morning before sending them to day camp and heading to work. I got a mosquito-borne tropical disease last year (doctor thought it was Dengue, I thought it was Chickingunya, tests for both came up negative, but it sucked three weeks of my life away), and I'd hate for the kids to go through that. So I'm using the chemicals.

I tried something I saw on Pinterest--using Listerine as bug spray--and it was worthless. Did nothing to reduce the mosquitos on our back patio. Clearing some of the bushes away from the patio helped, though.

I haven't found anything scent free, but I did get a not-bad-smelling one from Honest Company at Target (organic). Also organic but not scent free is skeeter skiddaler. (http://www.tremblingleaf.com/index.html) I got the warm and spicy and it smells Christmasy.

I also use rose hydrosol. It keeps the mosquitos reduced, but I wouldn't say it keeps them totally away. You can get this at online companies that sell essential oils typically.

Thread Information