Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting the decluttering again

But I am going to eject from the feminism topic. I don't want to be misinterpreted as "mansplaining."

It's fine UL but I just know what CL is talking about and the many issues.

Also, apologies to the OP for detailing the thread!

how is the decluttering going?

I will sometimes meet a secular person who is not involved in the community. They will say something like: "I am an atheist, but I don't want to get involved. I don't want to go to lectures on Sundays. It is too much like church."

I then think: "This person does not realize how vast the secular community is."

Sometimes I explain: "We also have canoeing trips, drinking groups, community volunteering, game nights, cook-outs, road trips, brunches, lunches, dinners, parties, potlucks, discussion groups, book clubs, and meditation groups."

Then they will often be like: "Game night, really? When?" or "Cook-outs? I do like grillin'!" or some such.

Perhaps the feminist community was that way.

Junior Member minimalisticaspirations's Avatar
    Back again! Got the purging kickstarted and now my car is full - of things going to the local charity thrift store. It feels good to finally have gone through the last of my (young) late mothers clothes that I for some reason stored. Now they can get out in the world and do some good! There are some bags that are on their way to my booth at a thrift store. Aah on to the next area then...

If I never even used the (damn) thing ...out it goes!
    #productive night

Good job!

I am sorry about your mother, but passing her things on to be used seems like a good way to honor her memory.

When I get rid of things I always enjoy thinking that they will bring someone else joy when they use it. I wanted a set of 8 matching crystal wine glasses and decided I would be patient and look at thrift stores. After a few months I found a brand new set still in the box for 10.00. If one gets broke I don't feel bad. I have given some expensive stuff to thrift stores because they do me no good just sitting around. Congrats on the progress you are making!!

Thank you. My motherīs stuff should never have been put in our house - it kinda activated my collecting/saving gene; not easy dealing with two households worth of belongings. But I am getting ahead rather well - how do I know that? Because my grandmother is horrified with my "letting go" (laughing at the very thought).

It is really nice to have less to clean and dust, Iīm going to use that time for something better now!

[QUOTE=If one gets broke I don't feel bad. I[/QUOTE]

thatīs the way to go! I love buying 2hand! That has become a good way for me to not be as attached to stuff!

When someone dies unexpectedly it can be very hard to let go. When someone is sick for a long time you know it is coming. My Mom died 6 months before her 90th b-day and had been sick for a few years so she got rid of much of her own stuff. My MIL died much younger unexpectedly so everything was left behind and my DH had a very hard time getting rid of it and 9 years later some of it is still in our shed.

Thread Information