Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. will spend $2.6 trillion less on health care than expected before Obamacare

Yes, they are sending bills and referencing the healthcare act. Apparently the healthcare penalties are billed separately.

interesting as on the 1040 they are treated very similar to taxes owed (and hey the Supreme Court said they are a tax) I thought they would just go through typical IRS procedures for a tax deadbeat (the IRS of course isn't going to find everyone who is cheating on their taxes, but if you fall into an audit etc.).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    really though isn't this exactly the same as not paying your taxes? I could owe taxes at the end of the year for whatever reason (under-withholding even to the point that I was not withholding at all probably, income not from wages etc.) and simply not pay them. I think not paying the penalties is really the exact same thing. The penalties are taxes. So it's like saying: you don't really have to pay taxes if you don't want to, just don't pay them. Well yea but the IRS could in theory come after you as well as you do legally owe those taxes even if you have decided you are not going to pay taxes.
    The IRS can collect taxes, it is legally aithorized to do so.

it is not legally authorized to collect the ACA penalty if it cannot grab it from your refund.

Another trick is to be below the incme that requires you to dile a tax return. If you are belw that, you will not owe an ACA penalty.

Another trick is to be below the incme that requires you to dile a tax return. If you are belw that, you will not owe an ACA penalty.
    part time minimum wage job, a 40 hour minimum wage job in many places (depending on the minimum wage) puts you over the limit where you have to pay income taxes. So you are either having kids in order to have tax deductions or working part time at Micky Ds, not much of a life there. I've done the taxes on this, without kids you are not likely to get out of taxes.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    Yes, they are sending bills and referencing the healthcare act. Apparently the healthcare penalties are billed separately.
    Whats the sorce of your information? Several places includng this NPR article below says that the only way the IRs can collect is from a refund. But this info is old, is from the year 2013 and thngs may have changed.

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/11/230851...oing-uninsured

the kids got one in the mail a couple of weeks ago............$177 the penalty for one of them who was not insured last year. And it referenced the healthcare penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    the kids got one in the mail a couple of weeks ago............$177 the penalty for one of them who was not insured last year. And it referenced the healthcare penalty.
    From the IRS? The healthcare penalty sounds like a prime opportunity to scam someone.

Although I could imagine the IRS trying to do a clawback if they had already sent a refund and hadn't deducted the penalty. Or sending a letter when they have no way to actually collect other than you voluntarily paying it.

no refund, they had to pay. The bill looks legit and it is from the IRS.

I'd call the IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I'd call the IRS.
    I ordered a copy of their transcript thru snail mail..............

Thread Information