Thread: Motivation to Declutter

Motivation to Declutter

Last year I did "100 Things Gone" every month. It's hard to believe that I still have stuff, but I do. And no, I don't consider myself a hoarder, I just have a lot of interests, a busy life, and accumulate stuff along the way.

Fast forward... a mom with 4 kids at my church suddenly found herself homeless- boyfriend died of a heart attack, the house and furnishings were his, and his parents claimed them. She had to bag up clothes and books and toys in 2 weeks and move out.

By an interesting twist of fate, a great-grandparent's estate got paid out a month later, and she has bought a brand new home, but she has no furniture. Looking around my place three nights ago, I realized I could easily empty 2 tall bookcases and give them to her, she needs them, I don't. (One was full of stuff to be sorted out, mostly shredded, and the other was full of stuff I hadn't touched in the 8 years I've lived here; almost all of that went into the recycle bin too.) When she picked them up this afternoon, I also gave her two smallish table lamps.

Then I took the printer that just died, and the 2 lamps for my bedroom that haven't worked well for over a year, to the "electric recyclers" (they salvage materials). Tonight I'm savoring the new-found SPACE in my place. There is nothing in the corners in the living room. I put 2 much smaller lamps in my bedroom, and I really like the difference. (note to self: I had 6 lamps, and I only needed 2.)

I also realize that, for me, stuff is relative, i.e. she needed the bookcases and lamps, I didn't need them, it was easy to pass them on. And it was very motivational for me to declutter them. Anybody else had a similar experience?

I always find it easier to get rid of stuff if somebody else needs or wants it. Lately it's been my kids cleaning me out of household stuff, but a lot of the teaching stuff went to coworkers and other homeschool families.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Last year I did "100 Things Gone" every month. It's hard to believe that I still have stuff, but I do.
    Very cool lifestyle experiment! I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Tonight I'm savoring the new-found SPACE in my place. There is nothing in the corners in the living room.
    Space is amazing, isn't it!?

TxZen
    I love when things work out for the best, don't you?

This happened to me 2 years ago, when it flooded so badly here. I was in the middle of a huge PURGE and then BAM!!! The flooding hit. I had bags and a truckload of stuff to donate directly to those who needed it. One thing about donating to any charity, I always wonder if the people who need it get it. I can donate and go back 2-3 days later and nothing of mine is out for sale. I just wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by TxZen View Post
    I love when things work out for the best, don't you?

This happened to me 2 years ago, when it flooded so badly here. I was in the middle of a huge PURGE and then BAM!!! The flooding hit. I had bags and a truckload of stuff to donate directly to those who needed it. One thing about donating to any charity, I always wonder if the people who need it get it. I can donate and go back 2-3 days later and nothing of mine is out for sale. I just wonder.
    I drove a chair to Goodwill, they unloaded it and it went immediately to the sales floor. I shopped for an hour and came back thru furniture, and it had a "sold" sign on it.

Good stuff goes fast!

TxZen
    OOHHHH That's good to know Iris Lillies! I always see them take my boxes and dump it into a bin. And they are very rough with it. I tried a new donation place across town. We shall see!!

We donated a bunch of toys from husband's "maybe sell" stash that had been moved twice across the country. The thrift store put them in a bin by the cash register and sold them right away. Another time, Mom gave us her old dishes to dispose of. They all were on display and sold piece by piece at our local thrift. It was a popular brand of brown drip glazed Pfalzgraf (spelling?).

Note: I do not give to Goodwill but to a local small thrift that supports our big women's shelter. It is well run and I have even bought things there including furniture.

I like to get to know the organizations that I donate to.

Thread Information