Thread: Grandson's birthday party

Grandson's birthday party

Each year my grandson's birthday party is scheduled outside in over 90 degree weather. Today is the 7th birthday, a pool party. I finally worked up enough courage to say we would not be attending, it is too hot outside for both of us. Am I wrong in doing this?

What would you do differently if we said you were right? What would you do differently if we said you were wrong? Does it really matter what strangers think?

I would have let them know in advance the heat is just too much for you. It is for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    Each year my grandson's birthday party is scheduled outside in over 90 degree weather. Today is the 7th birthday, a pool party. I finally worked up enough courage to say we would not be attending, it is too hot outside for both of us. Am I wrong in doing this?
    No, you are not wrong. What you may wish to do is find an alternate idea of something special that you can do with him in lieu of the birthday pool party which you are not attending. A movie, visit to a special park, a special birthday lunch just with you two and him, etc.

Actually, I am glad that posters ask these types of questions because it does make one think. What would I do in that case? Some great solutions have come up that I have used.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Are you wrong to be concerned for your health? What would you think if your kids memory was of you suffering heat stroke?

Let the kid play with other kids, and spend another day with them.

thanks for all the input, I had felt guilty. I do realize that all Joe needs for a great birthday party is his friends and gifts. He is 7 yrs old. I was more concerned with Mom and Dad being upset with us. The heat has been terrible this weekend.

You can't control other people's reactions to what you decide is the best thing for you.

Thread Information