Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Big Decision Looming....

That's $10 with fully paid rent and utilities though, which makes it actually a considerably higher wage. If one wants to relocate they are pretty much stuck paying their relocation regardless.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I think it is finally time to do something JUST for myself, no matter what my mom thinks. My daughter is going to do what she is going to do, whether I am here or not.
    These two parts are key.

I am sitting here thinking about an opportunity to make art slipping through your fingers. Maybe there is another way, but if so it hasn't presented itself. It sounds to me like the universe is offering you a gift. Listen to your instincts, as always.

" And the day came when the risk (it took) to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin I just opened this Simple Abundance to read and this is the quote for June 18 (I'm behind). I thought it might help in your decision making. My husband is wishing you luck too- he's a fellow Libra and understands your weighing all the options. He's a stay put person but thinks- after I told him your saga- that going would be great!

Another thing to consider is that when we open ourselves up to new situations, uncomfortable as it is, all kinds of wonderful things can happen. We tend to imagine the worst but the opposite is possible. Who knows? You might meet the love of your life or have more art selling than you can imagine or...One of the things I love most about being alive is the serendipity of taking chances.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Another thing to consider is that when we open ourselves up to new situations, uncomfortable as it is, all kinds of wonderful things can happen.
    I have heard that this does happen sometimes.

Keep it coming, you guys! I keep telling myself, you can't make room for the new until you let go of the old. I have been stuck in a holding pattern ever since I became a single parent back in 1993. Everything I did was to give my daughter as stable an upbringing as possible. I did manage to do that, despite a lot of obstacles with her dad and his mental health issues, and then her mental health and drug abuse issues. It took a great toll on me, and still has even though she is 24 years old now. I am tired of living this life I had to create for us in order to survive. It doesn't fit me anymore, and hasn't for a long time. I cannot kid myself any longer that I can be happy here continuing to do what I've been doing for so long.

I just got home from talking to my financial guy. He helped me sort out some stuff, and doesn't think it is a terrible idea at all. The thing that scares me is how rigid in my thinking I have let myself become as I get older, and I don't want to be like that anymore. It isn't serving me well. And yes, this is all so incredibly uncomfortable and scary and exciting and...scary. But I have to remember, if it doesn't work out I can always do something else. I HAVE to be creative and flexible and take opportunities as they come. I used to be like that when I was younger. I think that life battered me around a lot and I really needed stability for a long time. But that time is up now, I really am free to do whatever I see fit for myself.

I wish I had someone offer me work that I would find meaningful and enjoyable in some sweet place.

For those of us without this opportunity, let me say: Take it!

My thoughts were to think about how much longer it will take to be done work forever if you take this job. Work at what you want for three years and then have to work forever to make up the shortfall? However, your post above about talking to your financial planner telling you that you were realistic changed my view.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    My thoughts were to think about how much longer it will take to be done work forever if you take this job. Work at what you want for three years and then have to work forever to make up the shortfall? However, your post above about talking to your financial planner telling you that you were realistic changed my view.
    I was concerned about this too. But the flip side is that when one is doing what they love retirement becomes a much less urgent goal. Also, moving to an artist colony, working in a gallery, making art, etc, will undoubtedly lead to other opportunities, be they full time, part time, being hired to make specific pieces or art for someone, Or whatever. It's certainly a big change, but I think the OP should do it. The realistic possibilities are just too good to pass up in my opinion.

Thread Information