Thread: Update to Justa Vent

Update to Justa Vent

Three weeks ago I had to drive north of where I currently live. Its near my old house and barn in a suburb of Seattle (Redmond) . Something was telling me to drive past the house. I did and I found two men in a work truck blocking the drive way. on a closer look everything was overgrown and boarded up and so was the house across the way. I introduced myself and the relationship of myself to the property and asked them what was going on. They were there to cut the gas to the house and it, along with 3 other houses where slated for tearing down to make way for a housing development , 22 houses plus a dupleux smallest house being 4000 sq feet!!!! Nothing in those houses are going to be salvaged either

I walked over to some neighbors ( they are holding out for now) and talked to them . I was beyond shell shocked. The house was built in 1978 ( not that long ago in my eyes) and I bought it in 1989 and moved away in 2003 I was the second owner.

although it was boarded up I was able to peek into the kitchen window and I saw something that I thought I packed , but could not find . I called the developer and explained who OI was and what I wanted. He is going to let me into the house and let me take what ever my little heart desires . And also anything in the barn ( which has cool sliding doors and the rubber matts that were on the floors of the stalls . From what I could tell of the kitchen not one thing has changed, It even still has the brown appliances that were there and working very well when I bought the place. I am going there tomorrow

Just very heart breaking on many levels . I have been going through a bit of a tough patch and had been fantasing about moving back. That house was very very well layed out, and I would not mind to have one built with the same lay ouy. I left the blue prints with the owner that I sold it to, hopefull they will still be in the house and I can take them so maybe I can have a house built like it
    Last edited by boss mare; 6-27-16 at 6:13pm.

Homes that we lived in still stay in our mind and hearts, especially if we have good memories. You were there for a long time, so it makes sense you'd feel heartsick about it. Good news that the developer is okay with you taking what you want from the place.

On a similar note my older sibling is in a senior apt. complex in downtown Phoenix. The area has gentrified so the city has decided to sell it to a developer who wants to replace this one story complex on several acres with a giant tower of apartments. So much for diversity.

There is a pretty new three story business building in one of our more gentrified neighborhoods. The developers wanted room to build big chunks of apartments and are going to tear down this newish (last 10 years or so) building to replace it.

We are starting to see some teardowns here but we still have a lot of land surrounding the town. The issue is downtown. The old CocaCola building with its art deco inside and outside are being preserved but there will be huge buildings surrounding it. Infill buildings are slowly filling in all the vacant land or parking lots.

I have a blogger that I follow that rebuilt an old house in Iowa. All the floors, trim, cabinets and such come from salvaging the insides of old buildings. I really appreciate this type of reuse.

Thread Information